Slow Processing Code

lkrznchc

Hi all,

I have written the following code and am unhappy with how slow it takes to process.

Code:
'Sorts transmitter by PSIA, PSI, in H2O, deg F
Sub TransmitterSort()
    Dim countA As Integer, countI As Integer, countO As Integer, countF As Integer
    Dim num_xmitters As Integer
    Dim xmitter_type As String
    Dim InstrSortArray(1 To 5, 1 To 50) As String
    Dim InstrInfoArray() As String

num_xmitters = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Range("B3:B1000").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count
    ReDim InstrInfoArray(1 To num_xmitters, 1 To 7)

'compares the last character in transmitter range column on instr list and sorts according to PSIA, PSI, inH2O, deg F
        countA = 1: countI = 1: countO = 1: countF = 1
    For j = 1 To num_xmitters
        xmitter_type = Right(Trim(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 5).Value), 1)
        Select Case xmitter_type
            Case "A"
                If countA > 50 Then
                    msgBox "Too Many Absolute Pressure Transmitters", vbOKOnly, "Warning"
                Else
                    InstrSortArray(1, countA) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
                End If
                countA = countA + 1

Case "I"
                If countI > 50 Then
                    msgBox "Too Many Gauge Pressure Transmitters", vbOKOnly, "Warning"
                Else
                    InstrSortArray(2, countI) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
                End If
                countI = countI + 1

Case "O"
                If countO > 50 Then
                    msgBox "Too Many Differential Pressure Transmitters", vbOKOnly, "Warning"
                Else
                    InstrSortArray(3, countO) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
                End If
                countO = countO + 1

Case "F"
                If countF > 100 Then
                    msgBox "Too Many Temperature Transmitters", vbOKOnly, "Warning"
                ElseIf countF > 50 Then
                    InstrSortArray(5, countF - 50) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
                Else: InstrSortArray(4, countF) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
                End If
                countF = countF + 1
        End Select
        'Pastes Instrument Information underneath the sorted Test Point IDs
        InstrInfoArray(j, 1) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 2).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 2) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 4).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 3) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 7).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 4) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 5).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 5) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 9).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 6) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 10).Value
        InstrInfoArray(j, 7) = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr List").Cells(j + 2, 11).Value
    Next j
    'Clears previous values
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C4:AZ7").ClearContents
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("A11:L1000").ClearContents

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B4:AY4").ClearContents
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B14:AY14").ClearContents
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B24:AY24").ClearContents
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B34:AY34").ClearContents
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B45:AY45").ClearContents

'Pastes new values
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C4:AZ7").Value = InstrSortArray()

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B4:AY4").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C4:BQ4").Value
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B14:AY14").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C5:BQ5").Value
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B24:AY24").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C6:BQ6").Value
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B34:AY34").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C7:BQ7").Value
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Raw Data").Range("B45:AY45").Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range("C8:BQ8").Value
    i = 1
    j = 1
    For i = 1 To num_xmitters
        For j = 1 To 7
            ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Cells(10 + i, j) = InstrInfoArray(i, j)
        Next j
    Next i
End Sub

Using the debug tool i have found that defining the values of the custom array occurs quite quickly, but anytime the procedure clears contents of a range on the sheet and writes values to the sheet the process slows down immensely. The longest duration loop of the code is the final nested for-next loop.

Code:
    i = 1
    j = 1
    For i = 1 To num_xmitters
        For j = 1 To 7
            ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Cells(10 + i, j) = InstrInfoArray(i, j)
        Next j
    Next i

Is there a way to allow the code to process more quickly?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I was able to remove the for loop and just paste the array into a range using

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Instr Sort").Range(Cells(11, 1), Cells(num_xmitters, 7)).Value = InstrInfoArray()

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back