Smallest value greater than zero across multiple cells

dsmith1088

Hi all

I'm trying to sum the smallest value greater than zero across multiple (scattered/random) cells. I know how to do this if the cells were in straightforward row or column range, but not sure what the best way is across random cells. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
For example:

A1 = 3,000
A26 = 2,000
A38 = 0
A50 = 1,500

I need a formula that looks across each of those 4 cells and returns the lowest value greater than zero i.e. A50 (1,500).

Upvote 0
For example:

A1 = 3,000
A26 = 2,000
A38 = 0
A50 = 1,500

I need a formula that looks across each of those 4 cells and returns the lowest value greater than zero i.e. A50 (1,500).

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MIN(IF(CHOOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(A1,A26,A38,A50))),A1,A26,A38,A50)>0,CHOOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(A1,A26,A38,A50))),A1,A26,A38,A50)))

Upvote 0
Oh! I thought it was going to be simpler than that, but thank you. That has worked. I didn't think I would need to reference the cells so many times.

Thank you for your help

Upvote 0
Oh! I thought it was going to be simpler than that, but thank you. That has worked. I didn't think I would need to reference the cells so many times.

Thank you for your help

You are welcome.

You have a point though. If MS would include a native function set like SETV/GETV Longre has designed, we would have:

MIN(IF(SETV(CHOOSE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(A1,A26,A38,A50))),A1,A26,A38,A50))>0,GETV()))

Adding a native version of his INTVECTOR would make life even easier.

But, alas.

Upvote 0
See if this works,

=MIN(IF(A1:A50>0,A1:A50))

Please note that array processing, So use with ctrl+shift+enter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes that would work across a continuous array of cells, but my cells are scattered i.e they are not adjacent to each other.

Upvote 0
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes that would work across a continuous array of cells, but my cells are scattered i.e they are not adjacent to each other.

A quick way is possible to deal with scattered cells. Define a Name Range and pass this name through formula.

Say I have created a Name Range from $A$1:$L$15 and nominate this reference with MYRange.

Then formula becomes;-

=MIN(IF(MyRange>0,MyRange)) with CSE.

See Sample - https://ibb.co/fxhtD7

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back