Smart Analysis Macro

alexaronson

I have a spread sheet that has item # in column A Customer in columnB starting on row 3 going to row 28,000+. I have data for these Customers that go from Column C to AL (26 rows in all).

What I want to do is develop a macro that will count the number of times I have consecutive zero points repeating for a given range in a row and place the output in AJ of that row.

I need to adjust the evaluation period or range in the macro from 2 to 8 as I test the data.
For example, if the macro range/evaluation period is 2 cells in the below example.
10 20 30 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 9 0 12.

Then the number of repeating evaluation periods would be 10.

If I change the evaluation period to 4 then the return value would be 6.

If I change the evaluation period to 8 then the return value would be 2.

To complicate this further, when the macro starts a new row, it needs to only start the evaluation after the first data point has a value. Meaning if I have empty white cells between the Customer and my first value, the macro will not treat those as zero values.

Any suggestions on how I could start this?

I currently have a solution that is tedious and requires a ton of formulas that is a pain to adjust.

Thanks in advance.

Any suggestions on how I could start this?

Thanks in advance.[/img]

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
With your values in A:T, grouping variable in U. This formula works but does not handle blanks at front end. Will see if I can suss that out...

{=SUM(--(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(A1,0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT($A1:$T1)-$U1+1))-1,1,U1))=0))}

HTH

Upvote 0
Greg,

Thanks for working on this. I see that you are using an array. I know when I copy the formula i have to hit a sequence of keys before I can use it. Can you remind me what that sequence is?

Thanks

Upvote 0
OK - those blanks at the beginning added a 2nd level of fun to this question. But this appears to work for me (same test bed as above).

{=SUM(--(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(A1,0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNT(OFFSET(A1:T1,0,(COLUMN(T1)-COLUMN(A1)+1)-COUNT(A1:T1),1,COUNT(A1:T1)))-U1+1))-1+(COLUMN(T1)-COLUMN(A1)+1)-COUNT(A1:T1),1,U1))=0))}

Upvote 0
Hmmm,

I can get the formula to work. I click on the cell, enter the formula in the formula bar, hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. The output I get is the formula.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far.

Upvote 0
I assume you meant to type can't instead of can.

Is the cell formatted as text?

Edit -- you do not copy the braces. I include those to indicate that the formula is an array formula.

Upvote 0
I removed the brackets and changed the cell reference from row 1 to row 3 where the data is. However, I get #REF error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back