Smart way to form "Speed-Dating" Groups from 100+ People

Mushral

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I have a list of 102 people in my organization who need to "get to know eachother" by going on "speed dates" with eachother. 102 people getting to know eachother during 1 on 1's would mean a lot of meetings which would cost a lot of time, so the idea of my organization is to organize lunch settings in groups of 6. So every week there will be a lunch session where all 102 people are matched in groups of 7 ( = 17 groups) so that during 1 session you will automatically get to know 5 new people. The goal is that by the end of the year, everyone has had one speed-date session with everyone on the list. That means that per lunch session, each person will meet with 5 other persons. The next week, another lunch session will be held, and everyone has to be matched up with 5 new/different persons in order to make the session as efficient as possible.

That means that each lunch session, there will be 17 groups of 6 people ( = 102). The next week, the same group of 102 has to be split up in 17 new groups, but everybody has to be matched up with only new faces, so nobody from Round 1 can be in the same group again. The week after that, the same principle applies again, and nobody can be matched up with anyone they have been matched up already during week 1 or week 2.

Basically, I'm looking for a way that Excel generates 17 groups of 6 people from the list of 102 for a number of "rounds" until everyone has been grouped with everyone once. At the same time I want to prevent that people get matched up with the same people in different rounds that they have already had a lunch session with.

My list is a flat list of 102 names that are listed in column A so in Cell A1:A102\

Does anyone know a quick/smart/easy way to fix this in Excel? Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi!
I'm struggling with the same thing for a similar event. Did you solve it?

Upvote 0
for the moment, i found a solution wherein after 48 meetings with 102 persons, everybody met everybody, but a few people were already 8 times together. So that's not a solution ?

Upvote 0
update, 44 meetings before everybody met everybody and 72 couples were 5 times together.
Just a feeling, suppose 100 persons (almost the same as 102, but is a multiple of 4 and 5), 'll be easier.
Make the tables smaller ???

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back