Smitty

jkpieterse

Today is a sad day for the Excel community.

One of our most esteemed board members Chris (Smitty) Smith has passed away.

As his wife shared on Facebook:
"I'm so sorry, heartbroken actually, to share that our Smitty passed away peacefully this morning, surrounded by his family. He smiled yesterday to hear the many messages sent by his friends and associates. All of your words are a comfort to us and truly stir our pride in him. It has been an honor to share life's adventure with such a wonderful man. He gave so much to the Excel community. He loved his friends fiercely, thank you all for loving him back. And he was so proud of his position on the team at Microsoft #LoveOfMyLife #ExcelGuru #RockClimber #Cowboy #Smitty #Excel"

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
This is truly sad news. Smitty was an early advocate here at MrExcel. There are times where I would argue for one decision and Smitty would gently take me aside and explain that I was being short-sighted. I appreciate his candor and I know that the MrExcel forum is better because of him.

When he joined Microsoft to work on the team that improves Microsoft Help, I thought it would be a thankless job. But he took his 25 years of spreadsheet experience and helped to make Help useful.

His co-workers at Microsoft have started a GoFundMe campaign for his family.
Everyone who posts a selfie of you outdoors on Twitter with the #ForSmitty hashtag by Sunday June 28, 2020 will receive a free copy of Smitty's e-book and we will donate $10 to a scholarship fund for his 16-year old daughter. Details are here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back