SMS from mobile numbers in spreadsheet

steve.waye

Board Regular
Hi all. Hoping someone can help with some VBA.

I have a list of students (up to 500) in a spreadsheet. The list includes email addresses and mobile numbers.

To send an email to selected students I just filter the spreadsheet and highlight the email addresses that I want to use, and then paste these into my email client. Not too cumbersome. :)

Sending an SMS however is a little more involved...
  • First I select the cells with the relevant mobile numbers (which are formatted as 0412 345 678).
  • Then I paste these into another sheet which automatically converts the numbers into the correct SMS format for my email client (formatted as 0412345678@sms.domainname.edu.au).
  • Then I copy the formatted numbers and paste them into the "To:" field of my email client.
This is easier than typing each mobile number manually, but it would be better if I could simply click a button at the top of the page that did the whole process automatically...
  • Highlight relevant mobile numbers
  • Click an "SMS Selected Students" button
  • Email client automatically launches a new email page with formatted numbers entered
My VBA experience is limited to finding solutions on the internet and modifying to suit, so I often don't have a full understanding of what is happening with the VBA .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Strewth Mate!

Morning Steve (or afternoon, where you probably are).

I wondered if you could manage an extra column in your data - so that you could just fill-down the formula (col C in my example), then once the mobile phone number's entered in col B (in my example), the corresponding SMS cell (in C) is formatted correctly.
Presumably, you could then filter, as you're already doing, and use the same method for sending.

test.xlsm
ABC
1NameMobileFormatted mobile
2Joe Bloggs0412 345 6780412 345 678@sms.domainname.edu.au
3Kylie M0414 234 5670414 234 567@sms.domainname.edu.au
4Danny M0421 123 7890421 123 789@sms.domainname.edu.au
5Dame Edna0412 321 6540412 321 654@sms.domainname.edu.au
60142 5689740142 568974@sms.domainname.edu.au
7@sms.domainname.edu.au
8@sms.domainname.edu.au
GRASS
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C8C2=TEXTJOIN("",TRUE,B2,"@sms.domainname.edu.au")

Upvote 0
Strewth Mate!

Morning Steve (or afternoon, where you probably are).

I wondered if you could manage an extra column in your data - so that you could just fill-down the formula (col C in my example), then once the mobile phone number's entered in col B (in my example), the corresponding SMS cell (in C) is formatted correctly.
Presumably, you could then filter, as you're already doing, and use the same method for sending.

test.xlsm
ABC
1NameMobileFormatted mobile
2Joe Bloggs0412 345 6780412 345 678@sms.domainname.edu.au
3Kylie M0414 234 5670414 234 567@sms.domainname.edu.au
4Danny M0421 123 7890421 123 789@sms.domainname.edu.au
5Dame Edna0412 321 6540412 321 654@sms.domainname.edu.au
60142 5689740142 568974@sms.domainname.edu.au
7@sms.domainname.edu.au
8@sms.domainname.edu.au
GRASS
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C8C2=TEXTJOIN("",TRUE,B2,"@sms.domainname.edu.au")
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm already doing, but using CONCATENATE to join the numbers to the @sms string, and doing it on a separate page so as to keep the main sheet clean.

I was hoping there might be a simpler way that's hidden in VBA.

Something like this...

selectCellsManually
clickSMSbutton
removeBlanksFromMobileNumbers
concatenateNumbersWith@sms.domain.edu.au
openEmailClient
pasteAllNumbersIntoTheToFieldOfEmailClient

BTW, I do know that the above isn't code, just my gibberish. :)

Also, thanks for the Reply which I only just saw since the email went into my Junk Mail. I've now added MrExcel as a safe sender (which I thought I had done 10 years ago).

Upvote 0
Well...
Not sure about code for opening/manipulating your default email client (which may or may not be Outlook) but there are tons of posts on this forum about doing that bit of your requirement. You'd just need to bolt the code onto the end of this...

This will satisfy the first part of your request.
Put an activeX CommandButton on your page (mine's cleverly called "CommandButton1").
Paste this into the button's _click event:
VBA Code:
Dim cl As Range
Dim str As String

For Each cl In Selection
        str = str & Replace(cl.Value, " ", "") & "@sms.domainname.edu.au" & ";"
    Next
str = Left(str, Len(str) - 1)
'Debug.Print str
MsgBox str
... so once you've finished, the whole thing should look thus (except that the name of your CB may be different):
VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim cl As Range
Dim str As String

For Each cl In Selection
        str = str & Replace(cl.Value, " ", "") & "@sms.domainname.edu.au" & ";"
    Next
str = Left(str, Len(str) - 1)
'Debug.Print str
MsgBox str
End Sub
Now, if you select several of the mobile number cells, and press the CB, it should give you a messagebox with the whole string, already formatted for your email client.
This is just to ensure that the numbers are formatted correctly for you.
You can then use "str" in the code, when you want to inject the SMS string into the email client "To" field.

HTH

Upvote 0
PS - I've never heard of an email client being used to send SMS, so this is, presumably some kind of purpose-built system (school, or uni?).
I assume that the "SMS" in the domain name, is a server, which is capable of taking the username part of an email a/d, and re-sending the body of the email, as an SMS, instead.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aveternik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back