Snagging data being sent to parallel printer

RussAuto

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking for a solution to a specific problem, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My situation: I am running a dos-based point of sale system. There is info which is captured at the time of sale and sent to my parallel printer, which is then lost ... seemingly forever. I would like to find a way to have either the program or dos or the printer send the info to excel. I don't care if it sits in a .csv file or something and has to be manually manipated in order to get excel to figure it out.

Is there a way to capture the data on the way to the printer, and shoot a copy to excel? Or send it from the printer to excel? Or, yikes, send it to a scanner to create a .pdf and then to a reader to read it back to something excel can deal with?

I could likely get permission to write a file or report in the dos program. But the owners will not write it for me and they don't think I will find anyone who can.

Ugh. It's very old school ... but surely there's a way?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
This has nothing to do with Xl. You would almost certainly need to do something with the POS system itself.

Upvote 0
Hello RussAuto
It's been so many years since I worked with DOS that I've forgotten a lot and I no longer have any DOS textbooks. I did a Google search for 'Redirect lpt1 to a text file' and came up with the following links. I haven't followed it any further, but this may give you a start in the right direction. Good luck.

I don't know if something like this in the DOS command prompt line would work or not: LPT1 >> C:\filename.txt

or perhaps: how to print to text file-dos program

TotallyConfused

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back