Snakes and Ladders Simulation Qs

dave554466455

here's a quick and dirty worked solution i did for fun since some pals goaded me to do this... (just check tab p1 for all of the results - p2 and p3 are for the variants) -- one tiny macro just to simulate/recalc

if someone has a more elegant solution short of running it all via vba (which is really the legit way to do it), post it here, i'd be curious to see a better way of doing this via spreadsheet

i think i did it right (I pretty much got the right answers...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb0zzk26jk5ijai/snakes and ladders modeloff worked solution (2015-10-03 1432).zip?dl=0

Stefyu89

I have tried your approch and use data table to simulate the 5000 game simulation. My answers don't match yours, at least for the very first questions. Need an expert eye to enlighten me concerning the way data table operate when it's used for simulation (an approach put forward by the missed professor Simon Benninga).

Thanks a lot Dave for your spreadsheet.

dave554466455

post your file - I'm curious how your approach deviated from mine

my approach seemed to get the right answers - I think at least

that said, don't forget that excel is kind of a silly tool for analysis like this - anyone doing something like this in a more legitimate situation would use R or at least SPSS

I have tried your approch and use data table to simulate the 5000 game simulation. My answers don't match yours, at least for the very first questions. Need an expert eye to enlighten me concerning the way data table operate when it's used for simulation (an approach put forward by the missed professor Simon Benninga).

Thanks a lot Dave for your spreadsheet.

Stefyu89

Actually we have the same answers !!! My bad !!! Thanks again for your spreadsheet !!! Learn a lot trough tackling these case studies !!!

ilezehuman

here's a quick and dirty worked solution i did for fun since some pals goaded me to do this... (just check tab p1 for all of the results - p2 and p3 are for the variants) -- one tiny macro just to simulate/recalc

if someone has a more elegant solution short of running it all via vba (which is really the legit way to do it), post it here, i'd be curious to see a better way of doing this via spreadsheet

i think i did it right (I pretty much got the right answers...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb0zzk26jk5ijai/snakes and ladders modeloff worked solution (2015-10-03 1432).zip?dl=0
Can someone please explain to me why there are 3 pages of simulations in this excel file ?

dave554466455

if you check through the questions you'll see you need to run 3 variants to answer the questions using my method (start position, rule change, etc.)

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • find many based on a certain criteria
    good evening, I hope someone can help me? I have a workbook sheet 2 contains lots of data.... I would like to be able to find anything on sheet...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...
  • Text Format
    I have a sheet for user to keyin the data. The format of the data can be 451 / 1903, 0012 / 9908 or 00287 / 0099. The number after the "/" is...
  • Macro to copy values across rows and transposing them and add the user id
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Hi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New...