So if you use "related" function, does that mess up a pivot that relies on that sheet?

pete234

I put some formula in one of the power pivot sheets I have that I also pull into a power pivot table.
There were time stamps so some of the detail records were off and some people just wanted the raw data slightly modified.
So I used RELATED to pull in a couple fields that I usually pull in for summing/counting in the pivot table.
However, the original pivot seemed to blow up the number of records by 50 times, like 5k records became 500k.
I didn't finish reviewing it yesterday but thought somehow this is creating a circular unchecked relationship, similar to what access does if the join is off. So question is can you have a sheet using RELATED and still have that accurately feed a pivot table?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
How and where do you use RELATED? Can you be a little more explicit about that?

Well I tested it yesterday and it did not seem to cause any issues.
I was using it to pull in custom sales team and fiscal periods, that I normally join in the pivot table.
So I left the old pivot data alone instead of bringing in my new RELATED fields (probably my original issue) and it worked the same, plus I could dump the remapped raw data to another file as needed. I like this RELATED, a true VLOOKUP replacement I think. Heck I mapped 98k lines of data with 6 fields using it today, the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of vlookups. Not bad.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back