So Many Spreadsheets

Why or why are people stuck on the appearance of something and not the content?????
Yeah, I know what you mean. When I worked for the state I would help others with SS, but only if they had 4 or less colors. 5+ gives me a headache!!
lenze

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Yeah, I know what you mean. When I worked for the state I would help others with SS, but only if they had 4 or less colors. 5+ gives me a headache!!
lenze

I agree -- there's a fine line between information and glitz. Good presentation will always require some layout skill but using some default colour / font combination because Marketing dreamt it up, is often a great way to hide the content.

Denis

On the other hand, who prints documents too seldom or one too creative can use, for example, dark green background cells with white font.
They are not conceived about amount of toner required for printout and an extra energy for chemical manufacturing.
Hereunder it means thoughtless spending of planet resources and encourages worldwide warming of climate.
So, don't print or don't use filling cells - save the planet! ;)

Chemical manufacturers are people too. They might take a different view of this reduced demand.

Why or why are people stuck on the appearance of something and not the content?????

Haha!! Rhetorical question right? Marketers around the world have relied on peoples desire for enhanced appearances. To my mind this human desire is what has driven the world to the brink of economic disaster.

I understand your frustration though.

Ha! I spent 5 hours of the phone yesterday with people in 3 different countries doing just that. After they deemed it sufficiently pretty, it was sent to the project manager and told "this is trash". They wanted me to explain to upper management how long it took...I was utterly embarrassed. “But…but..but, it took 5 hours!” they complained. Apparently they want to measure performance by the amount of time put in, not the quality put out.

I wonder if I’d get my hand slapped for making your statement my corporate email signature…

Oh dear - the other day I was asked to 'corporatise' a graph. I took this to mean that I need to make it prettier and in the process obfuscate the meaning and intention of the graph. Why or why are people stuck on the appearance of something and not the content?????

Why or why are people stuck on the appearance of something and not the content?
Andrew, my friend, that has to be the single dumbest question I have ever seen posted on this board. Do you get no U.S. news down there? How the he11 are them smartypants fellers in NYC s'pposed ta get them $165 million bonuses while utterly destroying their company if'n they use charts with real content?!

I know I know.......it drives me nuts and is symptomatic of the current financial crisis we all find ourselves in. Unfortunately I feel like I am part of the problem and not part of the solution........hmmmmmm.

In addition to 'corporatising' graphs, we now have to 'monetarise' things too! It is so tempting to say "Don't verb nouns!" but I'm guessing that would be a real conversation stopper........:)

Cheers
Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back