So Simple Its Embarrassing!

dick_007

Ok basically i need to know how to use a combo box....i used to know about 4 years ago but for the life of me i cannot remember.

I want these to be shown in the combo box "Investor, Trade, Manufacturer, Retail" etc. And then whatever is selected to fill an empty cell lets say A1 for arguments sake.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thankyou

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi ****, try this
1. Enter your list ("Investor, Trade, Manufacturer, Retail" etc.) in (for example) column B, starting in row 1.
2. Then choose a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox toolbar & draw it onto your sheet.
3. Go into the properties for the combobox and for the ListFillRange property, enter B1:B10 (or whatever range your list covers).
In the LinkedCell property, enter A1.

You should be good to go. :biggrin:

Dan

Upvote 0
Assuming from the Forms toolbar:

fill the info you need in a column > Right-click the combobox >Format control > "Control" tab >pick a cell as a Cell Link, and highlight your range of data for the input range. You will probably need an Index formula or choose formula to get the name ot show in a cell based from the cell link number.

If this is on a USERFORM:

Cells(1,1).value = combobox1.value

Help any?

Upvote 0
Ok thanks a lot, man i feel really stupid. Yet somhow i have managed to leanr how to do macro...clear buttons copy functions, save and exit....go figure!!

Upvote 0
Actually another question....does it have to have a cell reference or am i able just to type the name into VB or somthing?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

If you have your list set up, you can goto View-->Toolbars-->Forms and draw a Combo Box. Double click it and select your table Input Range, then your Cell Link. Note that you'll get a numerical reference based on the selected item's position, so you might want to add a lookup table.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

EDIT: 13 minutes (on a Sunday) is a bit quick for a *BUMP*. :wink:

Heya Dan!

Upvote 0
If I understand... yes, you can reference the destination cell using code.
Can you show us the code you've got now?

(Hi Smitty. Watching the game(s))?
Dan

Upvote 0
I don't really have any code...um...I have worked out how to get the names displayed in the combobox. I just want to be able to get those names transferred from the combobox in another worksheet, or blank cell. So i then i can copy the selection from that cell to my other worksheet. The code i have so far referencing recorded Macros. These all work..and are bug free i just want a selection combobox to make the data entry stage a lot more simple.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Sheets("Home").Select
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
Sheets("Database").Select
Call Database_Add
Sheets("Add Client").Select
ThisWorkbook.Save
Call Clear_Details
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Call Clear_Details
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back