soliciting some guidance..

rajeevbhardwaj

i am a novice to programming..i would like to know if i should learn Visual Basic independently or just keep dabbling with VBA and i'll get used to it...simple if, for structures are okay but some times i feel a bit lost..is it just some more practice or should i spend some serious time learning how to program in VB first..any help will be highly appreciated..looking forward to hearing back from you guys..thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
My personal opinion is that you should start with VB. You can learn the structure of VB and then work your way into VBA. They are VERY, VERY similar. Basically the only difference is that you have more predefined objects to work with in VBA, which can make things more confusing.

Upvote 0
hi juan..
do yu think that learning VB would give me a better overall picture of programming cos' it will be my first serious programming language...if i know fundamentals in VB then i can go ahead and be a better VBA guy (assuming that i have a good knowledge of excel and access)...
thanks for the article...it helped me understand the issues a little better..

Upvote 0
Actually, I agree with zacemmel there, why ? because they're both object oriented programming language... VB is VERY BIG, because it's main purpose is to let you program whatever you want. My learning path has been the other way around, I've been playing with Excel for about 8 years, and, on the other hand, have been programming with Pascal, Basic, and Delphi, for 6 years or so, and finally, when hitting some walls that VBA can't climb, I recur to VB.

So, my final suggestion would be, that depends. On what ? on what do you need, on the time that you have, and what you need the program to do. From my experience, you can do almost everything with VBA and Excel...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back