Some advice from the forum about declaring Public variables

JeffGrant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

my work book is some 45 sheets deep, 16 vba modules and some 20 odd userforms.

To clean up a lot of rubbish code and in attempt to avoid errors, I have created one module where all Public variables are declared in the same place. This has made life considerably easier to track because I dont have too many Module level or Sub level dim statements.

I have noticed a slowing in performance in doing this though.

In your opinion, is having variables listed in one spot like this a good programming practice?

I have also enlisted the help of the M-Z Tools application latetly, and that has surely cleaned up a lot of spagetti code mess.

Are there any adverse opionion to this application be fore I purchase it. I must admit that I do like what I have seen and used with it.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
is having variables listed in one spot like this a good programming practice?
No, quite the opposite. Public variables should be used only when you have no other option. Variable scope should be the smallest possible.

Upvote 0
Hi Rory, many of my variables go from user forms to modules, hence why they are declared as Public.

Is there a better way to do this?

Also, because many variables across modules, would they better declared as Dims in a declaration area and loose the Public declaration?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Where possible, variables should be local to a routine, and passed between routines as arguments if necessary. If that's not possible, they should be given module-level scope. Only use Public when you have no other choice.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how often these variables are used. If they are just used to configure userforms, for example (will be accessed/changed just once in running a subroutine), then you could (programmatically) assign named ranges to an xlVeryHidden worksheet for retrieval/updating. (That's what I did for my userforms. I have over 150 such variables! And it's hidden from the user.) Then you can call those named ranges from your UserForms by a meaningful name, not a cell address.

(And after you programmatically create all of these named ranges, you can programmatically hide them from the user's view so that they don't show up in the Name Manager under the Formula Ribbon.)

With them all in a spreadsheet, you can organize them in a meaningful way to keep track of all of them too, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back