Sort Ascending will not work in Data | Filter | Auto Filter

cspgsl

Board Regular
On the spreadsheet below with Data | Filter | Autofilter selected (for the header row - Date, Booking Start... etc.), when I choose either Sort Ascending or Sort Descending from the drop down list there is no sorting action performed on the rows (records). They remain in the (dis) ordered state prior to my selecting either Sort Ascending or Sort Descending.

If I highlight the range that I wish to sort and choose Data | Sort it works but not unless the range is highlighted

When I select one of the entries (i.e. 1-Aug, 2-Aug, 9-Aug, 10-Aug, 22-Aug, 24-Aug) all rows that match the date chosen are selected (including the contiguous data in the adjacent columns and the others are hidden (as I would expect).

Is there a setting I have missed?

Thanks in advance
fields.xls
ABCDEFGH
9DateBookingStartBookedFinishFieldActualFinishBookedHoursFieldUsed? Y/NUsedHours
109-Aug8:00AM11:00AMDover111:00AM3:00y3:00
1110-Aug9:00AM12:00PMDover212:00PM3:00y3:00
122-Aug11:00AM12:30PMDover512:30PM1:30y1:30
1324-Aug7:30PM8:00PMDover28:30PM0:30y0:30
1410-Aug7:30AM10:00AMDover510:00AM2:30n 
1510-Aug11:30AM12:00PMDover412:00PM0:30y0:30
1622-Aug3:30PM4:30PMDover14:30PM1:00n 
172-Aug11:30AM12:30PMDover212:30PM1:00y1:00
181-Aug8:30AM9:30AMDover410:00AM1:00y1:00
1922-Aug7:00PM9:00PMDover49:00PM2:00y2:00
April

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi CSPGSL.

What exactly is your question?
Is there a setting you have missed for what?

When you are sorting are you ticking the 'my data range has a header row' checkbox?

You will need to highlight the range you wish to be sorted first.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

The question is why won't Sort Ascending or Sort Descending work but you have answered that by indicating that "You will need to highlight the range you wish to be sorted first".

I found that it would sort if I highlighted it too. In doing so I highlighted just the data, not the header row, choose Data | Sort from the top menu, specified that there was no header row and it worked. I then went back and specified that there was header row and it would sort as well.

This however raises this question. Why are the Sort Ascending or Sort Descending choices available in the drop down list that is accessed from the header cell in the column when Data | Filter | Autofilter is checked? Even if I highlight the data to be sorted and choose Sort Ascending or Sort Descending from the drop down list in the header cell it does not sort according to the selection.

Again, thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, if i understand your question (Which i am not sure if i do!) the answer is, it does sort by selection even if you have an autofilter.

If you highlight a range then choose DATA > FILTER > AUTOFILTER
Then,
DATA > SORT > SORT ASCENDING. it will still sort a selection even if that selection is filtered (Or it does for me)

So to answer 'why are these choices available' i guess the answer would be: They are available as they can still be utilised whether a selection has ben filtered or not.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Sorry, my explanation seems to be causing confusion.
Looking at the spreadsheet above the drop down arrows for the filter choices on the header row are not shown (were not exported) so I have attached link to a screen shot www.cedarsprings.cc.

The sort ascending and descending choices do not sort whereas if I choose any of the dates the data is sorted and the other data is hidden.

Something that might be wrenching this is I have formulas in columns F & H in rows extending to 600 but have only inserted data thus far in the first 10 rows (10 - 19). Might that have an effect on the sort function?

I also have another spreadsheet that I can sort from the icons on the icon bar. I have no filtering on that sheet and it sorts asc and desc without me highlighting anything. All data is in adjacent rows and columns on that sheet too so that is possibly why I am surprised that I am having trouble here.

Hope that is clear, thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back