Sort not working on a date column

datadummy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am try to sort a date column and am selecting the "Sort Oldest to Newest" and its not sorting appropriately and I have no idea why. Secondly I have noticed that when I click on the filter for the column 2021 is not being recognized by the filter and again I have no idea why. Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Try click Format>Cell and check if the cell is formatted as Date or General. Most likely it is not date as data entered.

Upvote 0
Try click Format>Cell and check if the cell is formatted as Date or General. Most likely it is not date as data entered.
I just checked and all the cells of concern are formatted appropriately as Date. For some reason every date with a 2020 label is sorting appropriately, it appears the main concern is any 2021 date as those seem like they're not registering. Is there any known issues with excel recognizing 2021 dates?

Upvote 0
I just checked and all the cells of concern are formatted appropriately as Date. For some reason every date with a 2020 label is sorting appropriately, it appears the main concern is any 2021 date as those seem like they're not registering. Is there any known issues with excel recognizing 2021 dates?
Never hear such a problem.

Please update your profile to show your Excel version to let everyone know. Excel is not 100% compatible on each version

Upvote 0
In a separate column put the formula
Excel Formula:
=ISNUMBER(A2)
changing the A2 to the first cell with a date in and drag the formula down.

Do all the results come up as TRUE or FALSE?

Upvote 0
In a separate column put the formula
Excel Formula:
=ISNUMBER(A2)
changing the A2 to the first cell with a date in and drag the formula down.

Do all the results come up as TRUE or FALSE?
That did the trick! There was a blank line that my eyes kept skimming over but the "false" identified it and I deleted the row and now all is working appropriately. Thanks for your help!!!

Upvote 0
That did the trick! There was a blank line that my eyes kept skimming over but the "false" identified it and I deleted the row and now all is working appropriately. Thanks for your help!!!
When dealing with numbers in long rows, our eyes play trick on us ?

Upvote 0
@datadummy You're welcome, it's not exactly the reason I posted the ISNUMBER formula :ROFLMAO: but happy it showed up where the problem was.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back