Sort of a problem!!

QT2006

Hey guys,

I am a newbie..and hope you can help. Please bare in mind that I am crap at trying to explain myself.

The simplest way I can say it is...imagine you have a database, it has x amounts of sheets to it.

Each sheet deals with a different area, ie. sheet 1 deals with england, sheet 2 deals with spain sheet 3 with greece etc etc...

Each sheet has detailed information about the cites in that area and also numerous banks (Abbey, Natwest etc) in those cites. How do I collate all the 'Abbey' banks to one sheet. So I want to have all the abbey banks on one sheet, I want to search over all the different areas (ie all the different sheets in the workbook) So I know how many Abbey's there are in the World.

This is merely for trying to explain my what I need to do. I hope you understand and that you can help!!!

I know you could just do a find search for 'abbey' over the workbook as opposed to on the sheet, but I need a list in excel..and searching merely highlights what you are looking for.

Anything that can help is welcome, I thank you all in advance, you very nice people :biggrin:

Cheers

QT E

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Before we start, can you explain why this "database" has been split into different sheets?

Upvote 0
Ok, the database has different sheets because the information on it corresponds to different areas (I did not start it up like that..a colleague did, but I have to now use it)

So sheet 1 has info about one area of the world, sheet 2 relates to that area of the world etc...is there a way I can make the database simplier

Not only are there areas..on the sheets, but there is a second sheet after that links to the first sheet- which provides more details

So I will name the sheets

Sheet 1- Greece
Sheet 2- Banks in Greece
Sheet 3- France
Sheet 4- Banks in France

I know its well complicated and its doing my bleeding head in!!!

Upvote 0
QT2006

I'm having trouble understanding your setup.

Like Glenn asked why the seperate sheets?

I could perhaps see a need/reason for having seperate sheets for each area but why 2 sheets for each area?

Also what's actually on the sheets?

Could you post some sample data?

Upvote 0
I could...but I don't really know how to do that...just copy and paste..
I am not sure of the reason for the two sheets for each area, one has slightly more information than the other, whilst having the same information, as there is a formula that links the first sheet to the second one..

I just have the job of sorting the data...and I am finding it hard, as I am no computer wizz

Upvote 0
Hi There

I have successfully used SUMIF for this type of problem. in my case it was customer types over a number of territories. I took the long and arduos task of naming each column range linking it to a master then that linked into another sheet giving a breakdown of each territory.

If you'd like a copy of my book please PM your e-mail and I'll unlock it and send it.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAT RG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back