Sort option in a protected sheet

RAJESH1960

Banned for repeated rules violations
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Guys

I need some help to clear this problem. I have protected the sheet. The headings too are protected. A range is unprotected cells. I am not able to sort the data by any of the columns from in that range

FYI – I have ticked the option for Allow all users of this worksheet to “Sort”. I Want an option without using a VBA code. Please

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
If any cells in the sort range (including the headers) are locked, then you cannot sort without unprotecting the sheet.

Upvote 0
If any cells in the sort range (including the headers) are locked, then you cannot sort without unprotecting the sheet.
I was trying to find a solution. So it is not possible at all if any of the cells in the sort range are locked. Right...?Thanks Fluff

Upvote 0
I was trying to find a solution. So it is not possible at all if any of the cells in the sort range are locked. Right...?Thanks Fluff
This is to inform to every one and update that I have found a solution to sort in a protected sheet without using VBA. This was shared with me.
1. Protection must initially be off for the sheet you are editing. Also be sure if there are any cells you want to let users edit (I usually have 1 or 2 columns in the table they can edit), go ahead select those cells, right click on the selection, select "Format cells...", go to the "Protection" tab, and deselect "Locked"
2. On "Review" Tab, in the "Changes" section, click on "Allow Users to Edit Ranges"
3. Click "New..."
4. In "Refers to cells:" enter either "=Table1" (don't type the quotes and replace 'Table1' with whatever the table name is, which you can see from the "Name Manager" on the "Formulas" ribbon bar; by default, if it's the only table, it will be Table1) or the entire range of cells for the table, INCLUDING THE HEADER ROW. IMPORTANT: It will not work if the header row is not included. This is one of the missing steps that I got wrong the first time I tried.
5. Click OK
6. Click "Protect Sheet..."
7. Uncheck "Select locked cells" (otherwise, users will be able to select and edit even the Protected cells -- not really protected)
8. Be sure that "Sort" and "Use AutoFilter" are both checked.
9. Optional: If any cells are supposed to be editable, be sure that "Select unlocked cells" is checked, and any other options you want to allow.
10. If you don't want users to be able to turn off protection, enter a password in the "Password to unprotect sheet:" box.
11. Click OK
There you go. Now your sheet is sortable while Protected and supports both locked and unlocked cells as you would expect Excel would work if you simply checked the Sort or AutoFilter boxes when you protected the worksheet. No VBA. Only downside to this method is that users cannot select or copy data from protected cells. If that's a requirement for you, then this is not a viable solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back