Sorted Validation Lists

Mmcq16

Hello Mr.Excel I need some Help

I have been tasked with creating a combined spreadsheet and am using Data Validation. My data is contained on a separate sheet from my data validation list. I am looking to add criteria to my data validation list so that it only is populated with values based on another selection from a different data validation list.

For example, if I have a data sheet with Column A being a list of employees. In Column B I have a list of experiments they are doing corresponding to the name next to it. Their names are randomly repeated down the list with different experiments.

I would like the data validation on one sheet to have a list of employees without their names repeated. Once their name is selected I would like to select from a list of experiments that only they are working on. Can this be done?

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
It can be done , but needs some code to provide the lists for the validation, is that acceptable for you ??

Upvote 0
It can be done , but needs some code to provide the lists for the validation, is that acceptable for you ??

Yes I just need to know where to start for the code. I have tried to filter the data using a dependent list but it does not work due to the names being in a random order down the column. I also want the dropdown list to automatically update whenever you type in a new name or experiment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back