Sorting a Pivot Table

DMfba

I was wonder if you can shed some light on a problem I am having. I think I have a good idea of what is going on but not sure how to correct it or it is possible to correct. This problem is occurring in multiple pivot tables. I am sorting data for the highest sales and using the top 10 filter. The problem occurs when the column changes. In this case, the columns are years. So when the year changes it no longer sorts and filters properly. For example, when went from year 2019 to 2021 the filter and sort remained on 2019.

What it should look like.

Table 1.JPG

After refresh- it pushed out Customer 5 since 2019 values were higher.

table 2.JPG

Is there a way to have the pivot table to automatically sort on whatever information is in the 1st column. Is this something that is possible or will the sort always be tied to the original column. I tried to resort on the new year but when refreshing it defaults back.

Thank you guys for your help.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

GraH

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Why not use a total Sales and a slicers on years? So Top10 will always work. Or do you need the previous year comparison? That is not clear.

DMfba

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have to show the variance from year to year, as well rank from 1-10. The same thing happens on other tables that change from month to month.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divster27