Sorting a Pivot Table

DMfba

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I was wonder if you can shed some light on a problem I am having. I think I have a good idea of what is going on but not sure how to correct it or it is possible to correct. This problem is occurring in multiple pivot tables. I am sorting data for the highest sales and using the top 10 filter. The problem occurs when the column changes. In this case, the columns are years. So when the year changes it no longer sorts and filters properly. For example, when went from year 2019 to 2021 the filter and sort remained on 2019.

What it should look like.

Table 1.JPG

After refresh- it pushed out Customer 5 since 2019 values were higher.

table 2.JPG

Is there a way to have the pivot table to automatically sort on whatever information is in the 1st column. Is this something that is possible or will the sort always be tied to the original column. I tried to resort on the new year but when refreshing it defaults back.

Thank you guys for your help.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Why not use a total Sales and a slicers on years? So Top10 will always work. Or do you need the previous year comparison? That is not clear.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply.

I have to show the variance from year to year, as well rank from 1-10. The same thing happens on other tables that change from month to month.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back