Sorting a slicer?

PrincessColumbia

I'm trying to set up a slicer so that "buckets" of work will show up on a report with the click of an on-screen button, and the mechanics of the page are just fine; click on the slicers and the filter the lists on the page to show the work that needs doing.

However, the "buckets" slicer buttons are appearing in a very confusing and non-intuitive order, apparently in 0-1, A-Z order. I've already set up a "Sort by" table with the actual needed sort listed:
PowerBI Sort Table.png

...but my slicer shows the "buttons" completely out of the specified sort order:
PowerBI Slicer not sorted.png

Any tips I've found on the Internet for fixing this all seem to think that the "sort by" table should fix it...but the slicer remains stubbornly out of order.

Can anyone help me fix this? It's one of the few things keeping me from being able to release this report out "into the wild" for my team.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
What do you mean “sort by table”? You need a column in the same table you are using for the slicer.
add The sort by table
set the text Column in the new table so it sorts by the numeric sort column
Join the table to the original text column
hide the original text column
use the new text column in the new table in your slicer

alternatively, you can merge the new table with the original and extract the new sort column into the original table.

Upvote 0
What do you mean “sort by table”? You need a column in the same table you are using for the slicer.
add The sort by table
set the text Column in the new table so it sorts by the numeric sort column
Join the table to the original text column
hide the original text column
use the new text column in the new table in your slicer

alternatively, you can merge the new table with the original and extract the new sort column into the original table.
No dice, no matter how I arrange the data in the tables or what columns I use, the sort order of the slicer still shows the "bucket" names in alpha-numeric order.

Upvote 0
Select the column LAST TOUCHED first and then Column Tools--->Sort by column--->Sort by

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back