Sorting alphabetically by function

Pauljj

As with numbers you can sort using the function LARGE, is there a way you can do this alphabetically ??

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Here's another way...

Assuming that A2:A10 contains the data...

B2:

=INDEX(A2:A10,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(A2:A10,">"&A2:A10),0))

B3, copied down:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,"<"&B2),INDEX(A$2:A$10,MATCH(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,">="&B2),COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,">"&A$2:A$10),0)),"")

Note that both formulas need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Or trying……

=IF(ROWS(B$2:B2)<=COUNTA(A:A),LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,">"&$A$2:$A$10)=ROWS(B$2:B2)-1),$A$2:$A$10),"")

Regards
Bosco

Upvote 0
Actually, my solution returns a list of unique values, sorted alphabetically, in descending order. However, I should have offered the following solution instead...

B2, copied down:

=INDEX(A$2:A$10,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,">"&A$2:A$10),ROWS(B$2:B2)),COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,">"&A$2:A$10),0))

...which lists duplicate values as well.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Here's another way...

B2:

B3, copied down:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,"<"&B2),INDEX(A$2:A$10,MATCH(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,">="&B2),COUNTIF(A$2:A$10,">"&A$2:A$10),0)),"")

Note that both formulas need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

Some notes on the above formula system:

1] It cannot cope with numbers (both pos and neg) in the range to sort.
2] It eliminates duplicates under the assumption of like behavior as Data|Sort > Descending.
3] Although it's less volatile than the system in the link I quoted and it has lesser usage of cell memory, Full Calc and Microseconds per formula is higher.

N.B. I succeeded to eliminate the range housing rankings with Rank from the system in the link I quoted, the revised system becomes less volatile but Microseconds per formula doubles and it cannot cope with neg numbers in the range to sort.

Upvote 0
Input formula in cell b2 and copied down.

=IF(COUNTA($A$1:$A$100)>ROW()-ROW($A$1),INDEX($A$1:$A$100,MATCH(LARGE(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,">"&$A$1:$A$100),ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1),COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,">"&$A$1:$A$100),0)),"")

Formula is an-array must hold down:

Ctrl,Shift,Enter

Edit: I changed the formula because it did not account for duplicates this formula will.

Upvote 0
Here's another way...

B2:

B3, copied down:

Hope this helps!

I was under the impression that the range would contain only alpha-characters, but of course I could be wrong. :)

2] It eliminates duplicates under the assumption of like behavior as Data|Sort > Descending.

Yes, for some reason I was thinking unique values, hence my follow-up post... :oops:

3] Although it's less volatile than the system in the link I quoted and it has lesser usage of cell memory, Full Calc and Microseconds per formula is higher.

Interesting, although I wasn't aware that it was at all volatile. I don't see any volatile functions, unless I'm missing something. Can you please shed some light?

N.B. I succeeded to eliminate the range housing rankings with Rank from the system in the link I quoted, the revised system becomes less volatile but Microseconds per formula doubles and it cannot cope with neg numbers in the range to sort.

Very interesting...

Upvote 0
Here's another way...

B2:

B3, copied down:

Hope this helps!

I was under the impression that the range would contain only alpha-characters, but of course I could be wrong. :)

Ignoring generality is admissible if the system has a signicant superiority over one that is (more) general. :LOL:

Yes, for some reason I was thinking unique values, hence my follow-up post... :oops:

I didn't check the modification.

Interesting, although I wasn't aware that it was at all volatile. I don't see any volatile functions, unless I'm missing something. Can you please shed some light?

Quoting from Charles Williams's site:

"FastExcel measures Workbook Volatility by comparing the time for a Recalculation to the time for a full calculation, and allows you to measure worksheet volatility by comparing the sheet recalculate time with the sheet full calculate time."

Volatile functions aggravates the volatility score for:

"A Volatile Function in a formula in a cell is always recalculated at each recalculation even if it does not appear to have any changed precedents."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back