Sorting Apples pt. 2 - Using a Macros

lotien15

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,

I'm trying to see to if its possible to build a macro or to simply use functions in the cells with the scenario mentioned below:

We have 3 types of apples (Fuji, Red, Gala). All have different set of apples that are each uniquely barcoded that need to be evenly distributed into 6 baskets. When it comes to uneven numbers divisible by 6, they need to be added back into one of the other baskets (in others words, would restart the count OR basket 1 & 2 would get two apples from Red); can't have part of an apple.

Fuji 6 Apples
Red 8 Apples
Gala 24 Apples

The goal would be to filter at the column for basket '1' and I would get all of the listed assigned apples from each person.

1649252128941.png

(Slightly different scenario with the same idea from another thread I had posted "Sorting Apples Questions - Using Macros")

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
How about
Excel Formula:
=MOD(COUNTIFS(A$2:A2,A2)-1,6)+1

Upvote 0
Solution
That worked! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

I'm assuming if I decided to change the number of baskets I would change the '6' value to whatever X-baskets I would like it to be?
=MOD(COUNTIFS(A$2:A2,A2)-1,6)+1

Do you mind explaining the logic of how the function above how its read? I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while and couldn't get it right -- the functions used above are some I tried to use but couldn't get it to work.

Upvote 0
if I decided to change the number of baskets I would change the '6' value to whatever X-baskets I would like it to be?
That's right. :)
The countifs just gives a running count for the values in col A & the mod function return the remainder after dividing by 6

Upvote 0
So the COUNTIFS is differentiating the type of apples based on change of 'text' or is it counting based on the current row+the row before?

And you put '-1' because that is how you start off the first apple in basket 1, correct?

-- if you put "=MOD(COUNTIFS(A$2:A2,A2)1,6)+1" then it would start off at 2
-- if you put "=MOD(COUNTIFS(A$2:A2,A2)0,6)+1" then it would return it as all 1-------->(this is what i kept getting in the beginning; the constant '1' values)

Upvote 0
Its based on the values in col A & has noting to do with what row it's on.
The -1 is needed to prevent the formula from returning 0 instead of 6

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back