Sorting by colour

NCay

Board Regular
I require to sort the sheet by fill colour, as I have a sheet with some rows hightlighted yellow and some not. What I'd like is to have all the yellow rows in one block and all the non-yellow in another block. Thought about conditional formatting (but that thought didn't last long, as I don't know how to use that either!).
Any help appreciated. :)

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I've been trying to avoid using code as I'm not too familar with it, and the colour rank way doesn't make sense to me ! ( think I'm having yet another bad day) If this is the only option it looks like I'm stuck with the old fashioned, long way round of doing it! one by one by one!!!Unless you or anyone else knows of another option
:(
This message was edited by NCay on 2002-09-03 16:47

Upvote 0
Drat!
Looks like I'll have to resign myself to starting on a long up hill struggle on the steep learning curve of Macros and coding. Arrrghh, wish me luck....

Upvote 0
just to elaborate on juan's reply,

In general, functions cannot perform results on / give you information about, a worksheet's environment. This includes the cell's colour. There are some 'information' functions available. One of them is cell(). Unfortunately, it does not contain a background colour option. However, Harlan Grove has written a UDF celled ExtCell that does have this option (among others), which you could use to return the background colour of a cell as a value. You could then sort on the value. (There is something similar on ozgrid's vba- custom functions section). But, this still involves code...(That said, I'd download the extcell udf anyway - comes in handy...

http://mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=17564&forum=2

Paddy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back