Sorting By Date - Not Time

JayTheKaz

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I inserted a column into my spreadsheet and input two sequential time inot the 1st two cells (00:00, 00:15). When i format the cells for time (Time-13:40), it automatically inserts a default date as part of the cell data. When i sort the data, it sorts by the date. I want to sort only by the time. Is that possible?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
If you're only inserting a time then that is all that will be in the cell. If you choose a format that shows date and time then it will show a default of 00/01/1900 which will have no value for the purpose of sorting.

Upvote 0
But it does still post according to the date. it doesn't autofill the same date. the date is progressive. Any sort you do, it's sorted by the date.

Upvote 0
Exactly how are you entering the first time before autofilling? I've tried it in the way that you describe in your first post and everything is working the way that I said it should, with no dates shown.

The exception being if you autofill more than 96 rows (using 15 minute intervals). When it goes from 23:45 to 00:00, that is actually 24:00 or 1 day, not 00:00. The increments continue, it does not reset and loop back to the beginning, meaning that it will go to 24:15, 24:30, etc. If this is what you are encountering then you need to stop filling at 23:45 then copy the fist set of times and paste down instead of filling.

Also note that if you are using an alternative application then it may work differently. What I have described is based on excel. Alternatives like google sheets, open office calc, or anything else may not be the same.

Upvote 0
I start on the 1st cell with 00:00, the next 00:15. I highlight the two and autofill to 25,000 by grabbing the lower left hand corner and dragging. Cutting and pasting to 25,000 cells isn't something I want to spend the time doing

Upvote 0
You'll need to use a formula then convert it to values.

Enter this into the first cell and fill down to 25000
Excel Formula:
=MOD((ROWS(A$1:A1)-1)*"00:15",1)
Then copy the entire filled range and paste special > values (ctrl alt v, v, enter).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back