Sorting code

kbishop94

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Previous thanks goes to Fluff for figuring out the code I have posted below (about a year ago I did this.) The code works brilliantly, but i am looking to further 'drill down' on the criteria... here is how it currently works:

I have a spreadsheet as shown with columns containing the different fields which all start on row 18. The rows above 18 are a summary of the data which calculates and populates the cells when the workbook is opened.

Spreadsheet:
mj1yy8.jpg

My current code:

The one for the "customer" tally (summary for which is displayed in A7 through B16) grabs all the data in column G (the customer column) (these are all under the workbook open event) and temporarily copies the calculated data on another worksheet ("CUS-TOTALS") where it is stored, then part of it (the top 10 rows) is copied and pasted onto the summary section on the main worksheet ("Seatex Incident Log") as shown in the picture above.
Code:
[B][COLOR=#008000]' capture and tally the total of the CUSTOMER column (starting at G18) on the worksheet "Seatex Incident Log"[/COLOR][/B]

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Cells.Clear

Dim Cl As Range
Dim i As Long, J As Long
Dim Ary, Temp1, Temp2

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

For Each Cl In Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("G18", Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("G" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      If Not .exists(Cl.Value) Then
         .Add Cl.Value, 1
      Else
         .Item(Cl.Value) = .Item(Cl.Value) + 1
      End If
   Next Cl

ReDim Ary(0 To .Count - 1, 0 To 1)
   For i = 0 To .Count - 1
      Ary(i, 0) = .keys()(i)
      Ary(i, 1) = .Items()(i)
   Next i
End With

For i = LBound(Ary, 1) To UBound(Ary, 1) - 1
   For J = i + 1 To UBound(Ary, 1)
      If Ary(i, 1) < Ary(J, 1) Then
         Temp1 = Ary(J, 0)
         Temp2 = Ary(J, 1)
         Ary(J, 0) = Ary(i, 0)
         Ary(J, 1) = Ary(i, 1)
         Ary(i, 0) = Temp1
         Ary(i, 1) = Temp2
      End If
   Next J
Next i

[B][COLOR=#008000]' take the data that was tallied from above and paste it onto the worksheet: "CUS-TOTALS"[/COLOR][/B]
Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(0).Resize(UBound(Ary) + 1, 2).Value = Ary

It takes the copied data and copies it to the worksheet "CUS-TOTALS" and sorts it so the customers that appear with the most frequency appears first, then the second most, and 3rd most.... and so on:

zx2y4z.jpg

Then this code takes the top 10 customers (code also doesnt count duplicates) and copies and pastes them onto the main sheet ("Seatex Incident Log")

Code:
[B][COLOR=#008000]' THIS IS COPYING THE COLUMN THAT CONTAINS THE *NAMES* OF THE TOP CUSTOMERS FROM THE 1ST COLUMN DOWN TO THE 10TH, WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN SORTED FROM HIGHEST TO LOWEST _[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#008000][B]AND PASTING THE COPIED DATA ONTO THE SEATEX INCIDENT LOG SHEET IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE.[/B][/COLOR]

Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Activate
Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Range("D2:D11").Select
Selection.copy
Sheets("Seatex Incident Log").Activate
Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("B7:B16").Select
Range("B7:B16").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

[B][COLOR=#008000]' THIS IS COPYING THE COLUMN THAT CONTAINS THE *NUMBER* OF THE TOP CUSTOMERS FROM THE 1ST COLUMN DOWN TO THE 10TH, WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN SORTED FROM HIGHEST TO LOWEST _[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#008000][B]AND PASTING THE COPIED DATA ONTO THE SEATED INCIDENT LOG SHEET IN THE APPROPRIATE PLACE.[/B][/COLOR]

Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Activate
Worksheets("CUS-TOTALS").Range("E2:E11").Select
Selection.copy
Sheets("Seatex Incident Log").Activate
Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("A7:A16").Select
Range("A7:A16").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

So what I am wanting to do now is the same thing but only do it for the entries that are from the year 2018. (the code above just takes all teh customers in the entire column regardless of the year....

I have a column (hidden) that contains just the year in column AB (where the new code will have to use to narrow it down to a specific year):

2hmpruf.jpg

Ultimately the 'new' data should look like this (after its tallied and pasted to a temp worksheet just like the code above does):
Column 'C' i left in so you can see what the tally is for each customer (sorted with the ones with highest amount first) for the year 2018.

x5tl05.jpg

Please and Thank You for any and all help on this one!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Re: need help with this sorting code...

Try making this change
Code:
For Each Cl In Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("G18", Worksheets("Seatex Incident Log").Range("G" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      If Not .Exists(Cl.Value) [COLOR=#ff0000]And Cl.Offset(, 21) = 2018 [/COLOR]Then
         .Add Cl.Value, 1
      Else
      End If
   Next Cl

Upvote 0

Try making this change
Code:
      If Not .Exists(Cl.Value) [COLOR=#ff0000]And Cl.Offset(, 21) = 2018 [/COLOR]Then
         .Add Cl.Value, 1
      Else
      End If
   Next Cl

Hmmm... well, it didnt change anything.

I believe your ', 21' offset is 21 columns over from the customer field in G (7) to get to the column where the year is... which is AB (?)
I thought it might be a formatting issue where it is looking for all the "2018" 's in column AB, so I also formatted the cells in AB to 'general' (so it appears just as '2018' and not a complete date that appears as 2018 in the cell.) But, that also didnt change anything either. :confused:

Here is what the new code presents on the CUS-TOTALS sheet (which is the same as it is without it )

nobxoj.jpg

Please & thank you for anything else to try(?) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If you have a date rather than just the year try
Code:
And year(Cl.Offset(, 21).value) = 2018

Upvote 0

If you have a date rather than just the year try
Code:
And year(Cl.Offset(, 21).value) = 2018

Tried that, and several different ways (like with and without quotes and tried it with different years and such as well... no luck.)

Just to make sure its not a formatting issue, here is how i have it formatted. Also shown is the other column I inserted " (, 22) " and have that just formatted as "General"

sxohl5.jpg

Thank you for all your help.

Upvote 0

Here is the code again so you can see exactly what I am working with.. . & updated with the "year" part:

Code:
[B][COLOR=#008000]' capture and tally the total of the CUSTOMER column (starting at G18) on the worksheet "Seatex Incident Log"[/COLOR][/B]

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("2018-CUS-TOTALS").Cells.Clear

Dim Cl As Range
Dim i As Long, J As Long
Dim Ary, Temp1, Temp2

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

If Not .Exists(Cl.Value) And Year(Cl.Offset(, 21).Value) = 2018 Then
         .Add Cl.Value, 1
      Else
      End If
   Next Cl

ReDim Ary(0 To .Count - 1, 0 To 1)
   For i = 0 To .Count - 1
      Ary(i, 0) = .keys()(i)
      Ary(i, 1) = .Items()(i)
   Next i
End With

For i = LBound(Ary, 1) To UBound(Ary, 1) - 1
   For J = i + 1 To UBound(Ary, 1)
      If Ary(i, 1) < Ary(J, 1) Then
         Temp1 = Ary(J, 0)
         Temp2 = Ary(J, 1)
         Ary(J, 0) = Ary(i, 0)
         Ary(J, 1) = Ary(i, 1)
         Ary(i, 0) = Temp1
         Ary(i, 1) = Temp2
      End If
   Next J
Next i

[B][COLOR=#008000]' take the data that was tallied from above and paste it onto the worksheet: "CUS-TOTALS"[/COLOR][/B]

Worksheets("2018-CUS-TOTALS").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(0).Resize(UBound(Ary) + 1, 2).Value = Ary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

How about
Code:
      If Year(Cl.Offset(, 21).Value) = 2018 Then
         If Not .Exists(Cl.Value) Then
            .Add Cl.Value, 1
         Else
         End If
      End If
   Next Cl

Upvote 0

You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back