sorting data into separate arrays? simple but tedious?

butch3

Board Regular
Hi all. Thanks for your help in this forum.

I've attached two images that will help visualize what I'm trying to do. I have 4 different types of data that need to be sorted. In the 'as is data' image, you can see that the accounts (Col A) is all clumped together. The 'output' image shows what I would like to happen. The number of data elements will change for each spreadsheet (macro) I would run the code on. The 'output' image shows highlights that are just for illustration and coding is not needed for that.

The first section in 'output' is for the accounts that are only numbers. The second sections is for accounts that have letters after the first 3 digits.

A Sum is produced for a combined total of the values in the Amt Column.

Next, when the first three digits are 'Fnd'. Total is produced for this section. The numbers to the right of the Amt column is removed.

Lastly, if the Name Column is named 'Enc' the row would be placed in this section. An alternate way to code this is to evaluate whether the 5th and 6th digit is 0 if it is, the row transfers into the last section and a sum for this section is produced. The numbers to the right of the Amt column is removed.

Note, each section is sorted by the Account without any sorting into any other section.

Note: There are deliberately hidden cells which will remain in the spreadsheet.

Attachments

• as is data.PNG
    as is data.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 4
  • output.PNG
    output.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
While writing the psuedocode, I thought that it might make sense to find the rows with the respective data in each section in the order of each section by putting the sections at the last row of the entire dataset and do that for each one so that each is in the appropriate order. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back