Sorting Dates with General format and time stamp

aiki100

Board Regular
Hello All -

I have been sent a worksheet with dates from a user in Australia. The date format is: 17/06/2016, so Day, Month, Year. And to be more specific, what I've been sent is: 17/06/2016 18:53, so D, M, Year and a time stamp.

There are other dates that I need to merge and sort with these. But they will not sort, and that is because (I am guessing) that I have to normalize General to Date in some manner.
I realize that I can use =LEFT( ) to strip out the time stamp, but wouldn't mind leaving it there if the actual dates themselves will sort.

I have tried a good number of things, but will not elaborate them here, as they did not work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

I really appreciate it, so thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
If you change the format of the cells to General, do you still see dates, or do you see numbers?
Also what is you standard date format?

Upvote 0
Hi there - Thx for the response...They are ALREADY in General format - that is the way it was delivered to me

Upvote 0
In that case you should be able to use Text to columns on the Data tab, to convert them to date/time.
Select the column > Text to columns > Delimited > Next > uncheck all boxes > Next > select DMY from the date dropdown > Finish.

Upvote 0
In that case you should be able to use Text to columns on the Data tab, to convert them to date/time.
Select the column > Text to columns > Delimited > Next > uncheck all boxes > Next > select DMY from the date dropdown > Finish.

Awesome! That indeed did the trick. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer - it is greatly appreciated...

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back