Sorting Hebrew words correctly

Wrude2

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have installed Hebrew Language on my Windows computer. I have MS Office Professional 2016 on my computer.
I am trying to sort Hebrew Words in Excel.
Excel will correctly sort the first letter, but the next letters are not always in the correct sequence.
How can I get Excel to try to sort the entire Hebrew Word in Alphabetical order correctly?
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Wrude2 I can hardly wait to see how this turns out. Is it possible to use this Read more about XL2BB... ? If you could use this XL2BB and show us a sample of your input and output that would be great. I guess the first question is are you using the Hebrew alphabet? Anyway, post a sample of your input and what you want to see as output.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestion! It is too bad that I have such a limited knowledge of Excel that I don't know much about XL2BB.
I'm frustrated with myself because I like to understand WHY / and "HOW does this work". I was hoping for a simple solution. My spreadsheet DOES sort the Hebrew word. (Yes, I type the word in Hebrew into the Cell). It may get the first letter of their alphabet correct, many times the second letter will be sorted correctly, but it is hit and miss after that.

Upvote 0
I am going to say before we figure out Why and How, we just get it to work. Now one thing I would check is make sure there are no spaces between Hebrew alphabet symbols. There is a Trim function that would help if that is the problem. I am going to go out on a limb here and bring up ASCII code. There is a function named code that will give you a number that represents the Hebrew symbol. So if you want to go down either of these roads we are going to need a long discussion.

Upvote 0
Ezguy4u, You are so kind to try to help me. Yes, you are correct, the vowels in Hebrew are symbols. I am going to try to load and "enable" the MS Office Hebrew "proofing" tools. Then I have to find someone that has Hebrew on their computer and see if I can physically drive to their place with my computer and copy what they have done. I know just enough to get me into trouble! I would LOVE to know Excel at the level that you know Excel! I'm so jealous! Life is just in the "way" for me to work with Excel as much as I would like. I may take an online course. I really LOVE what Excel can do! Thanks again so much. wrude2

Upvote 0
Thank you for having pointed out that the vowel markings may interfere with the sort function. You can find a Hebrew example using search keys like these:
פונקציות-של-excel-בסדר-אלפביתי
You may also want to search on forums ending in site:.il for websites in Israel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back