Sorting Problem

kishorkhanal

I have random values in column A. It is all numbers and texts mixed. From columns B to E I have values for the corresponding value in Column A. I want the values in column A sorted in some other order and rest of the values should also get sorted accordingly.

In column F I have same values in Column A but in the order I want other values from cells B to E to cells G to J corresponding to value in column A. I used Lookup function but didn't work.

This is an example. I come accross lot of values to be sorted. I want to automate to certain extent. I want formula in cells G to J so that whenever I enter values in order in cell F, all other corresponding values should show automatically, provided I have all the values already entered in cells A to E.

Any suggestions please.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I guess my question was not clear to anybody.

As I said I have values in column A to E. If the order of values in column A is changed I want to sort other numbers accordingly. Any idea?

Upvote 0
WoW! This is soo confusing. Can you provide a small example of what you have and what you want to achieve after sorting?

Michael

Upvote 0
I work with pressure vessels(tubes). Column A has tube numbers. Column B has Pressure, column C has manufacturing date and so on till E.

On column F, I have same tube numbers in column A but in a different order. Now, from column G to J, I want to the values from columns B to E but sorted based on column F.

The purpose of sorting is to give the proper loading sequence of the tubes to our customers. Column F has the required loading sequence in this case.

I hope it is clear now.

Upvote 0
From the Help file, here's how you would sort with more than 3 criteria:
Sort rows by four criteria (columns)

Click a cell in the range you want to sort.
On the Data menu, click Sort.
In the first Sort by box click the column of least importance.
Click OK.
On the Data menu, click Sort.
In the Sort by and Then by boxes, click the other three columns you want to sort, starting with the most important.
Select any other sort options you want, and then click OK.

Upvote 0
I dont' have criteria to sort. I have values which are text and numbers mixed. I want to go by sequence in column F and sort other values accordingly. I need to manually type values in column F and in columns A to E as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back