Sorting Problems!!!

rbraxton

Board Regular
What is with Excel's Sort function?

Can anyone give me a checklist for troubleshooting the problem of Excel constantly & insistently sorting my header row (no matter what I do)?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I put a header in A1, and wrote numbers in A2:A7. I highlighted A1:A7, clicked on Data, Sort, Sort, saw my header in the top slot ("Sort by"), made sure the option "Header row" under "My list has" was selected, said OK, and, the sort took place on A2:A7 only. My header remained in A1.

Same as above, except I highlighted only A2:A7. And, I just hit the A/Z icon in the Standard toolbar. A2:A7 only was sorted.

Let us know if the above helped you solve your problem.

Upvote 0
I need a list of trouble'shots' for discovering why Excel is mistakenly sorting a header row. (i.e., 1. the row above the header row is mistakenly being treated as the header row. 2. one of the header cells is blank without text. 3. et cetera...)

As many as anyone can think of....please don't hesitate to contribute :)

P.s., I tried your steps, Ralph, and it helped, but somehow Excel is deselecting the radio (round) button from 'Header row'.
Why does it do that?!

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I can't help you, at least not without an example. PM me with your email address, and, we'll take it from there.

Upvote 0
As a temporary fix, try formatting your header row differently (i.e. bold) before sorting...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back