Sorting & reference fields

Vinny

I am doing up a spreadsheet for a 6 week league we're running in our golf club. The first sheet is all the individual scores which I need to sort each week. No problem.
The second sheet contains the same players grouped in teams. I've referenced these from the first sheet so I didn't have to re-enter their names and I don't have to put everybody's score in twice.
That works fine until I do the sort on the indvidual sheets - the sort is also done on the team sheet - so that the teams are incorrect. Is there a way of preventing this sort from happening. Or is there a simpler solution to my task.

Thanks.
Vinny.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Vinny,
If you don't mind emailing me a copy of the sheet, I'll take a look at it for you.
I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this, but can't be 100% without trying it first.

address is "dwoolle1@dpygb.JNJ.com" if you want to send it.
cheers,

Dan

Upvote 0
In the formulae you can 'fix' the formulae using the $ sign.

If I have a column of formulae, all referencing different cells eg. A1, A2, A3, etc. then you sort, nothing will happen as the formulae will remain the same as it changes the cells that it references.

Try $A$1, $A$2, etc. then sort, and the formula will sort, still referencing the correct cells.

I'm not sure if this makes sense!! I know what I'm talking about, I hope it helps.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back