specifying 2 header rows for Data Sorting (vs. standard 1)

elisep

Is this possible? I'd like to use the data sorting tools already in Excel, but have a double header row, instead of a single one. Any ideas?

Thanks much!
elise

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
If I understand you correctly, Elisep, I would simply do my sorts WITHOUT including a heading, just the data.

Upvote 0
I can do a sort of the data without a header, true, but that means manually selecting the rows from row 3 down through the end of the worksheet. There are numerous sheets in the workbook though (~15), and each sheet would have to be manually selected and sorted.

I've tried creating a macro to select rows 3 through end, or populated cells (how to?), and sort those, but if the data is then modified the macro generates errors. I'm thinking there must be ways to specify 'select row3 through end of worksheet' and sort from a macro, but my skills are pretty limited and i haven't been able to do it, myself.

There are a couple of sorts that I know will come up often -- like by ascending alpha order, 1st column, and descending $ order, 4th column (with a secondary ascending, 1st column, for those projects which don't yet have $ assigned). I'm working on a workaround for those two sorts (putting an invisible 'aaaaaa' entry in row 2, column 1 for the alpha sort, and an invisible '99999999999999999' in row 4 column 1, to force row 2 to remain in the row 2 position). However, with this workaround any sorts aside from the two standard ones i mentioned will have to be done by manually selecting the data and specifying the sort orders. The goal was to simplify this if possible...

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
Elise

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back