Speed Challenge

alexaronson

Hello

I have a friendly challenge for the board.

I have some code I built that I want to see if anyone can improve the performance of. I never had any formal VBA education other than the trial and error method and learning from looking at different code on this board.

Here is the challenge. I have a macro called averageGenerator. It creates 9 columns of data for various moving averages and for different time ranges.

I have broken this macro up into two sections. Section 1 creates the raw data and control keys for the moving averages and periods to generate for. Section 2 is the code that needs to be enhanced for the judging process. Competitors may edit the variables that are used and the code in Section 2.

To declare the winner, I will run the code enhancements on my PC to provide a benchmark improvement from the submitted code. Competitors, please replace the name of my macro with your user ID from the board so I can keep track of who’s code is which.

This Competition expires Friday August 21st 11:30 AM Central Time (Memphis, TN time)
Good Luck!

Code:
Sub averageGenerator()
'This Macro allows a user on sheet1 to define the moving average periods they want to compute
'and for how many iterations.  For this exercise, a 100, 30, and 15 period moving average will be
'created 19,000 times each (8,000 + 6,000, +5,000).
Dim avg2Compute As Integer, lastRow As Integer, i As Integer
Dim j As Integer, iAvg As Integer, dataPoints As Integer, maPeriod As Integer, maRange As Variant
Dim startPoint As Integer, endPoint As Integer, n As Integer, t As Double
Dim vFirst As Integer, vLast As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
'This part of the code is going to create raw data to be used in the competition
Range("K2").Value = 8000
Range("K3").Value = 6000
Range("K4").Value = 500
Range("H2").Value = 100
Range("H3").Value = 30
Range("H4").Value = 15
Range("J2").Value = 3
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
vFirst = 1
vLast = 100
i = 1

For i = i To 8100
    Randomize
    Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i, 8).Value = Int((vLast - vFirst + 1) * Rnd() + vFirst)
Next
Sheets("Sheet1").Select

'Speed Part of the competition if from this point on!  Good Luck!
t = Timer
avg2Compute = Range("J2")
j = 10
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
lastRow = Range("H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

iAvg = 1
i = 1
n = 1
For n = n To 3 ' Counter for the number of period spans to comput.
 Sheets("Sheet1").Select
 dataPoints = Cells(n + 1, 8) ' defines the number of periods I want to evaluate
 For i = i To avg2Compute 'counter to define which average is being computed
    maPeriod = Cells(i + 1, 11) 'number of periods in the average
    Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    startPoint = lastRow - dataPoints - maPeriod + 2 'the first row in the average
    endPoint = startPoint + maPeriod - 1 'the last row in the average
    For iAvg = iAvg To dataPoints 'defines the iteration the average is currently on.
    maRange = Range("H" & startPoint, "H" & endPoint) ' defines the range of data to use in the average
    Cells(endPoint, j).Value = Application.average(maRange) 'enter the average value
    startPoint = startPoint + 1 ' redefines the new startPoint variable
    endPoint = endPoint + 1 'redefines the new endPointvariable
    Next
    Cells(1, j).Value = maPeriod 'Places the number of the moving average used
    Cells(2, j).Value = dataPoints 'Places the number of periods created by the moving average
    j = j + 1  ' moves j over so that a new average can be displayed
    iAvg = 1 'resets iAvg for the iteration
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Next
i = 1 'resets i for the iteration
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
MsgBox Timer - t
End Sub

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Does that code actually work for you?

It doesn't for me - it errors on this line with a Type mismatch.
Code:
Cells(endPoint, j).Value = Application.Average(maRange)

alexaronson

Norie,

I opened a new excel workbook, copied the code from the post, and pasted the code into a module, and hit run. The code worked without any issues for me. I am running Windows XP professional and Excel 2007.

By the way, you helped me with some coding issues a long time ago (about 3 years) and I have not forgotten.

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Right, got the code to run and altered it a bit - seems to cut the time by half.
Code:
Sub averageGenerator()
'This Macro allows a user on sheet1 to define the moving average periods they want to compute
'and for how many iterations.  For this exercise, a 100, 30, and 15 period moving average will be
'created 19,000 times each (8,000 + 6,000, +5,000).
Dim avg2Compute As Long, lastRow As Long, i As Long
Dim j As Long, iAvg As Long, dataPoints As Long, maPeriod As Long, maRange As Variant
Dim startPoint As Long, endPoint As Long, n As Long, t As Double
Dim vFirst As Long, vLast As Long
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

With Sheets("Sheet1")
        'This part of the code is going to create raw data to be used in the competition
        .Range("K2:K4").Value = Array(8000, 6000, 500)
        .Range("H2:H4").Value = Array(100, 30, 150)
        .Range("J2").Value = 3
    End With

vFirst = 1
    vLast = 100
    i = 1
    For i = i To 8100
        Randomize
        Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(i, 8).Value = Int((vLast - vFirst + 1) * Rnd() + vFirst)
    Next

'Speed Part of the competition if from this point on!  Good Luck!
    t = Timer
    avg2Compute = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J2")
    j = 10
    lastRow = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    iAvg = 1
    i = 1
    n = 1
    For n = n To 3    ' Counter for the number of period spans to comput.
        dataPoints = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(n + 1, 8)  ' defines the number of periods I want to evaluate
        For i = i To avg2Compute    'counter to define which average is being computed
            maPeriod = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i + 1, 11)    'number of periods in the average
            startPoint = lastRow - dataPoints - maPeriod + 2    'the first row in the average
            endPoint = startPoint + maPeriod - 1    'the last row in the average
            For iAvg = iAvg To dataPoints    'defines the iteration the average is currently on.
                Set maRange = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("H" & startPoint, "H" & endPoint)    ' defines the range of data to use in the average
                Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(endPoint, j).Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Average(maRange)    'enter the average value
                startPoint = startPoint + 1    ' redefines the new startPoint variable
                endPoint = endPoint + 1    'redefines the new endPointvariable
            Next iAvg
            Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, j).Value = maPeriod    'Places the number of the moving average used
            Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(2, j).Value = dataPoints    'Places the number of periods created by the moving average
            j = j + 1  ' moves j over so that a new average can be displayed
            iAvg = 1    'resets iAvg for the iteration
        Next i
        i = 1    'resets i for the iteration
    Next n

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Debug.Print Timer - t

End Sub
Note the problem I mentioned in the first post was because when you use Average in VBA a range is expected.

With this you were creating an array of values not a reference to a range.
Code:
maRange = Range("H" & startPoint, "H" & endPoint)

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjw

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...