SPEED QUESTION: EQUAL v. VLOOKUP

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Which is faster?

I have two workbooks. One has all the personnel information and the other has equipment information. They team up to create picking sheets for the warehouse. Each provides information to the other one via vlookups.

I was wondering if instead of doing a vlookup I could simply write =otherworkbook!$etc. To do that I would have to stabilize the data tables so that the data remains in the same place. But, that is not really a problem. I don't have anyway to test it across over 75K vlookups. That's why I am asking y'all. It always pays to know people who are smarter than you.

Thanks for looking

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Index & Match is much faster than Vlookups. Index & Match compares only 2 columns & can look left for match value, Vlookups must scan your whole data set for your match value and can't look left only right.

Upvote 0
Setting one cell equal to another like =Sheet1!A1 would be quicker than using a lookup.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, please take a minute to read the forum rules on cross-posting and follow them in future. Thanks.

Noted. Apologies to all. I thought creeps posting only applied to sub forums within the same board. I reread the part you mentioned to include the explanation of why it is frowned upon. I won't do it again.

Thanks again to everyone for reading z and helping out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back