Speed up Color Changing

tmo4ever

Can anyone help with this?

I have a Gantt chart that I'm building. Since I need to have 4 color options, I can't use conditional formatting, so I'm using a great script that erik.van.geit came up with.

Is there a quicker way to have to code only make changes to each row rather than the whole range? It can take several seconds to update because of the number of cells.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
Dim WatchRange As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim colors As Variant
Set WatchRange = Range("k7:ip40")
colors = Array("2", "36", "50", "41", "3")

For Each cell In WatchRange
  If cell <> "" And IsNumeric(cell) Then
  cell.Interior.ColorIndex = colors(cell.Value)
  If cell.Value <> 0 Then cell.Font.ColorIndex = colors(cell.Value)
  End If
Next cell
End Sub

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
What are the cell values you are loading into this line

cell.Interior.ColorIndex = colors(cell.Value)

Upvote 0
Colors is an array.

Is has 5 elements, colors(0) throuh colors(4)

What you need to do is simply reference the value as the index --

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Excel.Range)
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> WatchRange <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> WatchRange = Range("k7:ip40")
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, WatchRange) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' do nothing if the change was not in K7:IP40</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' avoid using names like cell which are similar/the same as reserved names in VBA</SPAN>
Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' good practice to use this so the code will never call itself</SPAN>
Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' will stop screen flickering, code will run faster, etc</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Target.Cells <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' handle multi-cell changes by looping through each change in the target</SPAN>
  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> c.Value >= 0 And IsNumeric(c) And c.Value <= 56 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' also need to check for cell values > 56</SPAN>
     c.Interior.ColorIndex = c.Value <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' wasn't sure if you wanted this condition or the below or both</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' commented out the below as unclear as to intent</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'    If c.Value <> 0 Then c.Font.ColorIndex = colors(c.Value)</SPAN>
  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c
Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

A bit unclear as to exactly what you wanted, but try the above.

Upvote 0
Take me through, in words, what is supposed to happen on your sheet; I'm not sure I understand exactly what needs to go on.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help j.jon

Here is what should happen.

The user enters a start date and end date for a project. Those dates are convered into a numerical value. (I8 and J8)

A cell father down the sheet determines what number should be present
Code:
=IF(AND(T$2>=$I8,T$2<=$J8),G8)

The a drop down box assigns a numbercal value to the cell (1,2,3, or 4) - (G8)

I wnat the cell to change color based on the drop down. 1=Yellow, 2=Blue, 3=Green, 4=Red.

I have it working flawlessly based on conditional formatting, but we all know conditional formatting only allow 3 types of conditions.

Upvote 0
tmo4ever said:
Thanks for your help j.jon

Here is what should happen.

The user enters a start date and end date for a project. Those dates are convered into a numerical value. (I8 and J8)

A cell father down the sheet determines what number should be present
Code:
=IF(AND(T$2>=$I8,T$2<=$J8),G8)

The a drop down box assigns a numbercal value to the cell (1,2,3, or 4) - (G8)

I wnat the cell to change color based on the drop down. 1=Yellow, 2=Blue, 3=Green, 4=Red.

I have it working flawlessly based on conditional formatting, but we all know conditional formatting only allow 3 types of conditions.

OK, so the formula above is in each cell wihin K7:IP40?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back