photogfrog

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Good afternoon;

I'm trying to get 2 cells, not side-by-side, to average 2 letter grades in a 3rd cell. All I am getting is a #Spill! error.
Also, if I do enter grades into the cells, it subs the value in H4 into K4, which is not helpful as it is not finding the average. In my screenshot, it should be a B, but it's taking the C only.
The formula currently in K4 is =IFERROR(INDEX({"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},ROUND(AVERAGE(IF(D4<>"",MATCH(H4,{"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},0))),0)),"")

Help please and many many thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• EXCEL.png
    EXCEL.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 12
  • EXCEL2.png
    EXCEL2.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

See if either of these does what you want. Col K is if you have the LET function in your MS365. Col L is the same formula but without the LET function.

If this is not what you want then please explain in words what should happen for each of my sample cases (or your own other sample cases)

BTW, are columns D & H manually entered or do they contain formulas?

21 12 01.xlsm
DEFGHIJKL
4ACBB
5BBB
6DDD
8A-D+C+C+
9A*FC+C+
Sheet2 (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K4:K9K4=LET(grades,{"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"}, IF(COUNTA(D4,H4)=2,INDEX(grades,ROUND(AVERAGE(MATCH(D4,grades,0),MATCH(H4,grades,0)),0)),D4&H4))
L4:L9L4=IF(COUNTA(D4,H4)=2,INDEX({"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},ROUND(AVERAGE( MATCH(D4,{"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},0), MATCH(H4,{"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},0)),0)),D4&H4)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omg omg o
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

See if either of these does what you want. Col K is if you have the LET function in your MS365. Col L is the same formula but without the LET function.

If this is not what you want then please explain in words what should happen for each of my sample cases (or your own other sample cases)

BTW, are columns D & H manually entered or do they contain formulas?

21 12 01.xlsm
DEFGHIJKL
4AC[FORMULA='=LET(grades,{"A*","A+","A","A-","B+","B","B-","C+","C","C-","D+","D","D-","E","F","NR"},
Sheet2 (2)
21 12 01.xlsm
OMG! THAT WORKED! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :) :)
Sheet2 (2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back