Split Column By Position

dpotta

Hello

Any help here appreciated.

In M, I am trying to reference a numeric value in a column as the number of characters to split a column by, but I am not sure how to do this.

The value I want to split by is in Column 5 and the Column I want to split is Column1.

I came up with this statement, but it does not work!

= Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type","Column1",Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, each [Column5]}, false),{"Column1.1", "Column1.2"})

What do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Your example suggest that you want to split the text in 2 elements: the first part through the position in Column5 and the second part the remaining part.
In that case:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column5", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type","Split",each Record.FromList(Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0,[Column5]})([Column1]),{"Column1.1","Column1.2"})),
    #"Expanded Split" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Split Column by Position", "Split", {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"}, {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"})
in
    #"Expanded Split"

If you want to split in parts, each with the number of characters in Column5, it is more complicated, but the following code performs the trick:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column5", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Split Column by Lengths" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type","Split",each Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths([Column5])([Column1])),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Lengths", "ListCount", each List.Count([Split])),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Record", each Record.FromList([Split], List.Transform({1..
[ListCount]},each "Column1."&Text.From(_)))),
    #"Expanded Record" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "Record", List.Transform({1..List.Max(#"Added Custom"
[ListCount])},each "Column1."&Text.From(_))),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Record",{"Split", "ListCount"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back