Split Pie Charts

bvc

I'm trying to insert a pie chart that sections off and shows 2nd pie with a different set of data. Is that possible and, if so, how do I do that?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I believe you're describing a pie-of-pie chart. See the 3rd subtype of the Pie Chart Type.

Upvote 0
I have tried that, however i'm trying to figure out how to designate a set of data as the 2nd pie. Every time i've set it up, the 2nd pie is simply a complete pie rather than another breakdown of a second set of data. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Plot this using pie-of-pie subtype... and, take a look at the Help topic for "Change the points plotted in a pie-of-pie or bar-of-pie chart".
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Blueberry10
2Cherry20
3Apple30
4Mincemeat
5raisins10
6apples15
7spices20
Sheet2

This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-09-17 12:58

Upvote 0
so in order for the excel to recognize a subset, there must be a cell between the two sets of data. very cool. thanks! you're a rock star.

Upvote 0
One more question to the rock star, if you don't mind.

I'm trying to plot the chart, however whatever It's not splitting the proper piece of the pie. I've pasted the information that I would like to chart (A-E in the 1st pie and 1-5 in the 2nd), and left the space in E, however, the problem persists that E is an entity of its own and "1"is also in the 1st pie, which plots 2-5 as part of the 2nd pie. Does that make sense?

Nevermind, I just figured it out. Thanks.
This message was edited by bvc on 2002-09-17 13:47

Upvote 0
I guess I'm gonna eat some humble pie. The pastel colors that Excel assigned to my earlier example lead me to believe that you do leave an empty cell... But you don't! So, your "E:" slice will be labelled "Other". Be sure and follow the instructions in the Help topic that I posted earlier. You'll need to designate the last 5 entries as the pie-of-pie values.

Upvote 0
Gotcha! I was wondering why I kept coming up with an "other".

So now the question is, how does one designate "E" in the legend, as there is no label for "other" in the legend?

Btw, your friend, Mick, was just in town with the Stones this past weekend and played across the street from my office last night.

Upvote 0
I'd ditch the legend, display data labels via the Format | Selected Data Series... menu command, select the text box containing "Other", and overwrite it with "E:".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back