Split string lowercase/uppercase challange

L

Legacy 143009

Hi guys!

Well, although I am not very new to excel there are some master tricks that still I don't know. Because of that please tell me step by step like you are explaining to an idiot!

I have a "D" column starts from 5th row and goes up to 165th row. Every cell in this column contains both hotel name and e-mail address. ex. "D5= PARIS HILTON info@parishilton.com"

So it is exactly as it's written, hotel names are in all caps and email addresses are all lows. I think this condition will make something easier but still I couldn't figure out how to...

What I am asking, is there anyway to split the e-mail addresses to "E" column?

On the web I tried many array formulas like "=TRIM......" but it always returned with some errors which means I am doing something wrong.

Long story short, what is the exact formula splits e-mail addresses from D5=>D165 to E5=>165?
How and why?....

Thanks a lot!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
With
A1: PARIS HILTON info@parishilton.com

If the string always ends with a space then the email address...try this regular formula:
D165: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(D5," ",REPT(" ",LEN(D5))),LEN(D5)))

In that example, the returned value is: info@parishilton.com

Is that something you can work with?

Upvote 0
another way would be to make use of the len() find() and mid() functions to return the appropriate string.

That is assuming that the structure is always NAME_SPACE_EMAIL

Upvote 0
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",100)),100)) will give you the email

and =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")) the name where B1 holds the formula above.

Dom

Upvote 0
We've both given you examples. All you need to do is change the cell reference.

As for having loaded a sample sheet that's a neat trick as you can't to this forum.

Dom

Upvote 0
capture.png
I asked it for maybe it didn't work?!
We've both given you examples. All you need to do is change the cell reference.

As for having loaded a sample sheet that's a neat trick as you can't to this forum.

Dom

Upvote 0
I can't see the value in D5 but there's nothing that I can see wrong with the formula.

Dom

Upvote 0
A ha, I think I found the defect! First of all thanks for your concern. Actually it's a private company information and I can't share it. Because of that I sent a small sample one. Anyway, the hotel name contains & and * characters. Do you think it can be the problem?
I can't see the value in D5 but there's nothing that I can see wrong with the formula.

Dom

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Capture2.PNG

It isn't working even with the simplest sample. I tried both ENTER and SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER.
A ha, I think I found the defect! First of all thanks for your concern. Actually it's a private company information and I can't share it. Because of that I sent a small sample one. Anyway, the hotel name contains & and * characters. Do you thing it can be the problem?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back