Split up a linescore

mhenk

I have baseball linescores saved as text entries in my data. What I would like to do is break up these linescores (currently single cells) into a cell for each inning. The data is formatted like this:

14000(10)21x, which yields:

1 run in the first, 4 in the second, 0 in the third-fifth, 10 in the sixth, 2 in the seventh, 1 in the eighth, and did not have to play the ninth.

I would like the following 9 cells to be created:

1, 4, 0, 0, 0, 10, 2, 1 ,x.

If you haven't guessed by now, my issue is when there are more than 9 runs in an inning.

VBA is an option, a formula is preferable.

I'll have do something to take into account the games that have more than 9 innings, but I need to resolve this issue first.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hello mhenk,
Out of curiosity, how did you solve this?
(Particularly, the double digit runs in one inning?)

Upvote 0
well, i decided to use intermediate columns, then convert any 10+ run innings to a character code, which I then translated back into an integer once the string was split up.

I did this 8 times (the most runs in an inning was 17, btw).

I started with the raw data entry, for example 14000(10)21x, as above.

I used the following: =SUBSTITUTE(D24,"("&F22&")",F23), where F22 = 10, F23 = A, and D24 is the raw data entry. This replaces all occurrences of (10) with A. I did a similar thing for 11-17, replacing them with characters.

Finanlly, I used a series of MID functions to break apart the line score, putting each character in it's own column. I ran a vlookup to convert any letter back into it's corresponding number.

Not efficient, but it works, and I only had to add about 20 columns, which is no problem, I've got over 1000 to work with! :D

Upvote 0
but it works. . .
In the end that's all that really counts.
I imagine that took a bit of head scratchin' but (considering the quote above) nice solution! :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back