Splitting one cell into multiple columns

ksegedy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can someone help me split a single or multiple cells into multiple columns? For example: I would like to take D8 and make it separate it into 3 different pieces horizontally. It doesn't necessarily need to be 3 separate columns but I need to be able to put an "X" or "check mark" in each. I would then like to do that multiple cells in Row 8, ie. E8, F8, etc. Hope I explained that clearly. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
For example: I would like to take D8 and make it separate it into 3 different pieces horizontally.
Unfortunately, you can not split cells in excel, you can insert empty cells and move the existing ones either down or to the right, or you can merge existing cells to span multiple columns (which is considered a bad idea) but not split.

Upvote 0
@ksegedy have you tried Test to Columns on the Data tab in the ribbon? please note it affects every cell in the column and you'll need to have enough empty columns next to it or it will overwrite your data.

Upvote 0
@MARK858 The way I read the question is that they want to split an empty cell, not the cell contents.

Upvote 0
@jasonb75 Yes, think that you might be right, although if that is the case then
It doesn't necessarily need to be 3 separate columns
doesn't make any sense, you would just insert 3 columns but it is an unusual thing to ask for anyway if that is the case .

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, you can not split cells in excel, you can insert empty cells and move the existing ones either down or to the right, or you can merge existing cells to span multiple columns (which is considered a bad idea) but not split.
Unfortunately, I thought that would be your answer. Thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back