Spreadsheet with macros blocked by security

christianbiker

Greetings all,

I have an issue with Excel in Office 365. My company just upgraded from Excel 2013 to Office 365 (Excel 2016). Now I am having issues with macros. My form has an email function built in that is ran by clicking on a button. The email is sent to a different organization when executed. With Excel 2013 they received the spreadsheet as an attachment and had no problems opening it. Now, under Excel 2016, that same spreadsheet is blocked entirely by that organizations' security software. Why would this happen with the newer version of Excel but not the older version? It sucks and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
It looks like your tagline needs updating :)

Go to File - Options - Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Macro Settings

If you can change the options, most likely everybody in your company can also. I personally set mine to "Enable All Macros"

If you can't change the options. Your IT department needs a lesson on how important it is to have macros allowed. Good Luck

Nope, there is no way to have a macro change that!!

{Tail wagging the Dog}

Upvote 0
As I mentioned...this is being sent to an outside organization and their email totally blocks the attachment. But...it never did that with Excel 2013. Something has been changed in Excel 2016 and I am hoping there is a reason for it that can be avoided.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that the other company haven't changed something at their end?

Upvote 0
Yes because some people in my organization were upgraded to Excel 2016 months ago and the spreadsheet hasn't worked for them since. I was using Excel 2013 till today and the attachment always went through. There must be something that changed in Excel 2016 or the code that I obtained from Ron De Bruin may have a portion that is outdated for use in Excel 2016.

Upvote 0
Does your code strip out all the VBA in the workbook?

Upvote 0
This is an email Issue!!! Not an excel issue. The company has a block on macro workbooks.

Use this at your own peril.

Zip the file. Change the extension of the Zip file to .zap. Send it to your co-worker explaining that they need to save the file to a folder and rename the file back to .ZIP. Then they have to unzip the file before using it.

Alternative: Load it to your Google Drive and send a link to your co-workers.

Alternative: Ask upper mangement to tell the IT depeartment to reconsider blocking .xlsm files because you're just tryin to get your work done.

Jeff

Upvote 0
@ Jeff

Please read my posts. The issue only arose when I was upgraded to Office 365. Spreadsheets with macros sent via email in Office 2013 were not blocked in any way, however spreadsheets sent in Office 365 that have macros are blocked. If the other organization blocks spreadsheets with macros it wouldn't matter if they came from Office 2013 OR Office 365.

Zipping the file defeats the purpose of the spreadsheet. Using Ron De Bruins code it is simply an button that activates the macro and automatically emails the spreadsheet to specified people outside my organization. One click it's done. Zipping the file and attaching it manually to an email defeats the purpose of the macro.

Upvote 0
If the code you are using hasn't changed, I can think of no reason why the files would suddenly get blocked, if it still works with 2013.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back