Spreadsheets From Business Objects

johnnorrris

Business Objects is a database report-writing application which produces reports in PDF and in Excel. But the data in the Excel reports don't act like numbers. I can't Count or Sum them. I try to save in another version of Excel and that doesn't help. I try to Copy and Paste Special, Values Only, and that doesn't work. Nothing I try works. The only thing that does work is to delete each cell and re-type in the value, which is obviously not a workable solution for large spreadsheets.
I believe I've run into this same problem with other applications, such a Eureka (an old database report-writing application).

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Try first pasting into NotePad, then copying from NotePad to Excel. Since NotePad is strictly a text editor, it strips out the formating. This might allow just the number values to end up in Excel.
Someone might know of a better application to clean up your data first.

Upvote 0
I sometimes use the following simple solution.

I yoy have a number in cell a1 that behaves like text, put in cell a2 a formule =a1-1+1.

The values remains the same but now in really is a number that excel can handle better.

Expcially if your BO import is always the same, you only have to build a general file once to import them all into, and save the new column or sheet with paste as values.

Good luck,

PAtrick

Upvote 0
Here is a forum especially designed for users of BO (All versions--Deski and Webi). Take a look and I am sure that the folks who use this software all the time will be able to answer your question. By the way, there is a count and sum feature in the report writer that you could use also. It is in the tool bar. You would then have your answers before exporting to excel. I often do format manipulation by bringing the excel values from BO into Access and manipulating data there. It is often quicker than reformatting in excel.

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/about.php?sid=3c919bef15888a205e934506c0daf934

Alan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back