Spurious Error 59 – Bad Record Length

Ian Simmons

I have a serious problem, it started several years ago with Excel 2007. Today I am using Office 365 and the problem persists.

I have a “Menu” program and about a dozen separate workbooks opened from the Menu. Menu.xlsm contains all the User Defined Types and all the general subs and functions. It is always open and is referenced in all the other workbooks.
All the workbooks are stored on a network server and accessed Read Only by the users. All data is stored in Random Access files and loaded when the respective workbook opens.
Sometimes all works well. Sometimes an error 59 – bad record length occurs. The highlighted command in the VBA editor is always a GET statement, never a PUT statement.

It is normal for one user to receive the error and another user, simultaneously, not receive it. How can this be? They both have a read only copy of the SAME program.

I have done endless searches on the internet and found many people with the same problem. The usual answer is: see Microsoft VBA help for GET. The code or UDT description is not the problem. The simultaneous operation above proves this.

In the current case I have:
• LOF(datafile.rnd) = 148004, also checked in properties.
• LEN(UDT) = 227 which agrees with design.
• Number of Records = 652 calculated from LOF / LEN which is correct

Several (temporary) workarounds have been proposed in the various posts on the internet; the most common is to fool the compiler into believing that compilation is required (cut / paste a section of code) and then Debug / Compile.
I have found that doing something else on the computer also works sometimes. (Open an explorer window / open a pdf file / even opening another excel workbook.)

I interpret this to mean that Windows / Excel has a problem managing memory, either because there is an omission in my code or because Windows/Excel actually has a bug.

Please can somebody help me.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
are you using something like
<code>Open MyFile As #1 Len = Len(RecVar)

just a thought, if the length is defined in a variable, and the user changes what they looked for yet the length is not refreshed ?
</code>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back