SQL Query in VBA

AndrewKent

Hi there,

I have the following code that pulls back data from Access into Excel...

Code:
Sub FindCustomerData(DBConnection As ADODB.Connection)

Dim DBRecordSet As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim Query As String

Query = "SELECT tblCustomerData.Record_ID, tblCustomerData.First_Name, tblCustomerData.Surname, tblCustomerData.Age, tblCustomerData.Created_Date FROM tblCustomerData  WHERE (((tblCustomerData.Record_ID)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C4").Value & "')) OR (((tblCustomerData.First_Name)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C5").Value & "')) OR (((tblCustomerData.Surname)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C6").Value & "'));"

Set DBRecordSet = New ADODB.Recordset
    DBRecordSet.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    DBRecordSet.Open Source:=Query, ActiveConnection:=DBConnection, CursorType:=adOpenForwardOnly, LockType:=adLockOptimistic, Options:=adCmdText

Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("E5").CopyFromRecordset DBRecordSet

DBRecordSet.Close
    Set DBRecordSet = Nothing

End Sub

problem is that all the values in the query are text values, if I update the Query with an extra OR statement...

Code:
OR (((tblCustomerData.Age)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C7").Value & "'))

...I get errors, how to I update my code here so that it will allow me query on a number as well as a text string. I'll also need to know if there is any differences for queries based on dates as well.

The error I get is data type mismatch on this line...

Code:
DBRecordSet.Open Source:=Query, ActiveConnection:=DBConnection, CursorType:=adOpenForwardOnly, LockType:=adLockOptimistic, Options:=adCmdText

Cheers,

Andy

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
If the parameters is a number, you don't use single quotes around it. If it's a date, you can enclose it in # signs and make sure you format the date you pass as mm/dd/yyyy

Upvote 0
So for a number, it should be...

Code:
OR (((tblCustomerData.Age)=" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C7").Value & "))

...and for a date...

Code:
OR (((tblCustomerData.Date)=#" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C8").Value & "#))

...and how would I format the date? In the database file it's formatted as General Date, I want the column to be brought back into Excel as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss.

Upvote 0
You need to pass the C8 value as mm/dd/yyyy:
Code:
Format(Range("C8").Value, "mm/dd/yyyy")
Actually if the date column in your DB includes time, you probably need a start and end date as parameters, or you will need to truncate the db date ato compare it against a single day.

Upvote 0
Stupid question but...why do I have to do it mm/dd/yyyy...is this the whole stupid VBA americanised dates issue?

Upvote 0
**** lol,

Funny thing is, it seems to be pulling dates back dd/mm/yyyy for me and I haven't changed the formatting. The only thing it is doing is that when I copy from record set, it formats the cells copied without the hh:mm:ss as I had them previously.

Upvote 0
It's not a question of the format they come back in, it's a question of what dates you get back. It will work for dates that are not ambiguous (like 31st) but if you pass it 05/01/2009 (being 5 Jan) you will get back 01/05/2009 (i.e. 1st May).

Upvote 0
It seems a little bit temprimental to be honest. I've put in this segment of code...

Code:
Sub FindCustomerData(DBConnection As ADODB.Connection)

Dim DBRecordSet As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim Query As String

Query = "SELECT tblCustomerData.Record_ID, tblCustomerData.First_Name, tblCustomerData.Surname, tblCustomerData.Age, tblCustomerData.Created_Date FROM tblCustomerData  WHERE (((tblCustomerData.Record_ID)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C4").Value & "')) OR (((tblCustomerData.First_Name)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C5").Value & "')) OR (((tblCustomerData.Surname)='" & Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("C6").Value & "'));"

Set DBRecordSet = New ADODB.Recordset
    DBRecordSet.CursorLocation = adUseServer

Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("E5").CopyFromRecordset DBRecordSet
    Worksheets("Search Engine").Range("I5:I" & Range("I65536").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0).Row & "").NumberFormat = "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"

DBRecordSet.Close
    Set DBRecordSet = Nothing

End Sub

...which pulls the data from Access into Excel. "I" is the column I want to format as a date however it doesn't seem to want to work properly. Is there a better way of structuring this?

Andy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back