SQL question

bsnapool

Hi

I have never used an sequel server application although I have medium knwldege of the language. What application is it that you use to manipulate sql statements? I wanting to download a trial version from somewere???

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
bsnapool,
That's a pretty broad question. There are many applications that you can manipulate SQL with. SQL server comes with it's own query tool available on the server itself. You can run SQL via access queries, or download a 3rd party tool that executes SQL using DSN and DSN'less connections. If you are really interested in SQL then using VB or VBA to execute SQL statements might be the way to go. I use a product called Schema Plus which works well for me. Do google search if you are interested in this product.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew

To be honest, if you have Access/MSQuery on your computer then you already have a good starting point where you can build up simple (and not so simple) SQL statements and then examine the code produced.

Richard

Upvote 0
Does anyone work within the SQL environment? I ask this as I am wanting a job within SQL... and was wondering what it was like writing SQL quries??

Upvote 0
Andrew

SQL is a broad subject, and could mean different things

Are you actually talking about Microsoft SQL Server?

Or do you mean Structured Query Language in general?

Upvote 0
Are you actually talking about Microsoft SQL Server?

Yes,

sorry for being vague, but Im looking for information on the whole subject.. Im understand that SQL language is written within SQL server?

Upvote 0
SQL (the language) is a standard language that many relational databases use to manipulate the data in the tables/queries. SQL Server uses one variant of SQL, Oracle another, MySQL a third etc etc. SQL scripts/queries written for SQL Server will not be immediately portable to another database flavour (unless it's a really simple script) as each database will have its own unique functions, that may not exist on any other Db. There is an awful lot of commonality between the various types of SQL though, so a good grounding in one flavour will likely mean you can adapt very easily to another (it's almost akin to different accents in human languages eg Americans speak English, and for the most part I can understand everything they say, but there may be one or two words where I have to ask them what the word means).

Make sense?

Richard

Upvote 0
I work in an AS-400 environment using Excel, VB, Access, and SQL. SQL is very fast, and allows you to search huge amounts of data (data you couldn't work with in Excel, as you go beyond the 65,000 row limit). I've only had limited SQL training (I've picked up a lot on the Internet), so most of my queries are pretty basic. They can get really complex.

It really helps to understand relational databases if you want to use SQL effectively. Again, you can find lots of primers on RD's on the net. Simple SQL statements searching one datafile are pretty easy; when you start doing multiple joins to other files, things can get complex.

Still, I get quite a kick when my users come to me for help with a problem, and I can write a (or modify an existing) query in a matter of minutes, and have a solution for them before they leave my desk.

If you visit the "Sourceforge" section of the Slashdot website (slashdot.org), you can find some open source SQL editors, etc. that may let you play around with SQL. I think you still need to install a SQL database to get true functionality. MS offers a developer version for $50 US, and an "Express" version for free, but I don't know how much functionality they offer.

Upvote 0
Loud and clear, Thanks for all your help Richard, I know It must be like second nature to your self, but I am wanting to get to grips with the basics..

How long do you think it should take to pick... Advanced ones with Joins etc etc?

Any more information with regards to SQL server would be great...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back