SQL Server Views

xljunkie

Board Regular
I have a SQL statement that works in SQL Server and it has FROM [xxx].[BI].[Assets] in the statement. This is a normalized view which pulls together several denormalized tables named dbo.xxx into a single view that makes it easier for a business person such as myself to understand.

I tried this code which didn't work at qdf.SQL = strSQL because there is an error in my FROM clause:

Code:
Private Sub Command0_Click()

Dim ServerConnect As New ADODB.Connection

With ServerConnect
    .ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=blahblah; Integrated Security=SSPI;"
    .Open
End With

Dim strSQL As String
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb

Set qdf = db.CreateQueryDef(strSQL)

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [tblTEST] (CustomerName, x, y, z) "
    strSQL = strSQL & "SELECT CustomerName, x, y, z FROM [B][xxx].[BI].[Assets][/B] WHERE blah blah"

qdf.SQL = strSQL
qdf.ReturnsRecords = True

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL ("DELETE * FROM tblTEST")
db.Execute strSQL

End Sub

I assume because [xxx].[BI].[Assets] isn't in the normal format of dbo.Table that it is giving me an error.

So I tried another method of created a linked table with an ODBC connection. If I do it this way, I can pull in all the individual dbo.Tables and recreate the normalized view that [xxx].[BI].[Assets] has. From there I'll have to pull data with other queries.

Should I try to go with method #1 with VBA or method #2 with the ODBC connection in an Access linked table?

Also, I simplified the SQL statement above. I will need to use things that I know that Access doesn't normally recognize in SQL (terms such as CONCAT, using aliases, etc don't work. I don't remember the whole story but it has something to do with T-SQL and Access having its own special version of SQL correct?).

Anyway, help would be appreciated. I'm new to creating a SQL Server connection with VBA/Access and am looking to reduce wasted time. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Instead of doing all this in code, cant you just make the query using linked table?
ZERO CODE.

Upvote 0
qdf.ReturnsRecords = True

your query does not return records

"INSERT INTO [tblTEST]"

you are inserting into a table in sql server, not in access
is this what you want ?

your table name is [tblTEST]

there is no schema or owner associated with it
is that what you want ?

and do you have permissions to create a table in sql server in that database in that schema ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back