Stack values in Columns / Rows

Louis_Guionneau

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this awesome forum. I've spent a lot of time on here in the past and am normally able to get answers from previous posts but this time I can't so trying to post myself.

I want to write a macro that takes the values of a set of columns (the number of columns will vary depending on the dataset) and paste all the values of the individual rows in column A. For example, if, in a given dataset, column A has 50 rows of data; column B has 30 rows of data; column C has 60 rows of data, then i would want the macro to update column A with values from source A1 - 50; then B1 - B30; then C1 -60 (and also delete the data in columns B and C). So column A would now have 140 rows of data, with the values that were previously in Column A listed first, then values in Column B, then values in Column C. I hope this is somewhat clear.

I've been struggling for a while to write something that works and will dynamically and automatically loop through all the columns and rows in a given dataset. I've started by coming up with the below but it doesn't work (I'm still a beginner at VBA, I know there are issues with the below, warning you in advance ;) ).

I'd really appreciate any guidance you all can offer.

Thank you

Sub StackColumns()

Dim LastColumn As Long
LastColumn = Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns).Column

Dim i As Long

For i = 2 To LastColumn

Dim CopyDestinationRow As Long
CopyDestinationRow = Cells(1, 1).Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

Dim LastRow As Long

LastRow = Cells(1, i).Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
Range(Cells(1, i), Cells(LastRow, i)).Copy Cells(CopyDestination, 1)

Next

End Sub

Hi mark,

I spent a bunch of time going through the articles you sent and your code. I understand arrays somewhat but not completely. Do you think you could possibly go through the code you sent and put a brief explanation of what is going on under each line?
Thank you so much! Louis

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi Mark,

I tried to write my own version of the code, as per the below but I can't seem to quite get it right.

Do you think you could work out where it is going wrong?

Thank you

Louis

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread... but if they are, I would greatly appreciate any tips on why the below code doesn't seem to be working. It tells me "Compile Error: Invalid Next control variable Reference".

Thank you!

Sub LG_Data_Converter()

Dim Nmbr_Headers As Byte
Nmbr_Headers = Application.InputBox("Input Required", "How many Header Rows are there?", Type:=1, Default:=2)

Dim FirstRow As Long, LastRow As Long, FirstColumn As Long, LastColumn As Long

FirstRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Range("XFD300000"), LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext).Row

LastRow = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Range("XFD300000"), LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

FirstColumn = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Range("XFD300000"), LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext).Column

LastColumn = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Range("XFD300000"), LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column

Dim No_Data_Rows As Long
No_Data_Rows = LastRow - FirstRow - Nmbr_Headers + 1 '(Inclusive)'

Dim No_Data_Columns As Long
No_Data_Columns = LastColumn - FirstColumn + 1 - 1 '(Take into account the customer ID column)'

Dim Dataset() As Variant
ReDim Dataset(1 To No_Data_Rows, 1 To No_Data_Columns)

Dim i As Long, j As Long

For i = 1 To No_Data_Rows
For j = 1 To No_Data_Columns

Dataset(i, j) = Cells(i, j)

Next i
Next j

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back