Stacked bar graphs

Excel2014

Hi,

I am attempting to create a stacked bar graph that uses one column of data as the whole and the next column as part of the whole.

Currently, when I insert the stacked bar chart, it adds both sets of data on top of each other; it does not include the second set as part of the "whole" first set.

My data is set as follows:

Column 1- Months
Column 2- Total vistis
Column 3- Unique visits

e.g. I would like to show in January, out of 2000 visits 1500 were unique (differentiated by color of the stacks). Not show 2000 and then 1500 on top of it.

Is there a setting or something else I need to change?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Create a clustered bar chart With Total visits as the first series, Unique visits as the second series.

Move the Unique visits series to the secondary axis. The bars should now be on top of each other but may not be using the same vertical scale.

Delete the secondary axis. This will make both series use the primary series axis for scale. The bars will now appear as if the chart were a stacked bar chart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks!

Next Questions: I was planning to add a line graph on top to show the average time spent during the visits per month. This would usually use the secondary axis, but since it is already in use per your recommendation above, do you know of another way for me to add in the line graph?

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
I 'm sorry I have been unable to reply sooner.

My first solution was a quick solution: something I use when I need to chart something quickly and get a report out the door.

I'll assume you are using what Excel calls a column chart, colored bars displayed vertically. This can be done with a bar chart, but it's harder to get the chart to look right.

Clustered Column chart. With Total as the first series and Unique as the second series, both on the primary axis, set the Series Overlap to 100%. Now the two series should appear as you want. Change the gap to taste. You can now plot a third series as a line on the secondary axis.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back